Paradox

  • dbaldnz
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2004
      I noticed a recent post mentioning the Paradox. Yesterday I noticed
      one, dried out, way out in the middle of the bay, so I raced home,
      picked up my digital camera and the dog, and raced back to beat the
      incoming tide, and threatening sub-tropical downpour.
      I was amazed at how small she is....tiny toy. She would just about
      fit in the cabin of my Micro Navigator. But beautifully designed and
      detailed. And the cabin looked to be almost a shoehorn job to slide
      into. Standing beside the boat on the sand, one looked down onto her.
      But perfectly suited to taking the ground. The gear is all small and
      light.
      In summary, tiny, one person, very compact to build and store. If a
      crew were not an issue, a perfect boat for many.
      With an eye to the sky, I pulled out the digital and turned it on.
      Nothing. I had left the battery at home in the charger! We trudged
      back in the warm heavy rain, dog giving me reproachful backward
      glances the whole way.
      DonB
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dbaldnz" <oink@w...> wrote:
        > I noticed a recent post mentioning the Paradox.

        D'ya think it might be this one?

        http://www.btinternet.com/~w.serjeant/paradox/pl_gallery.htm

        Nels
      • Richard Menz
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
          Nels,

          Good Heavens man, I have finally found a boat group you don't belong
          to!
          Microcrusing is where the Paradox sailers chat, and Paradox Builders
          is where they discuss the down and dirty.

          It is definatly a design my better half would want nothing to do
          with. They are a great example of cutting back on the wish list so
          that a design can do a very few things very well. If you are going
          to compare to a micro then look through the files in the paradox
          builders group for the article on expanding it to 16 feet, which
          adds enough width for a queen size matress on the floor.

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dbaldnz" <oink@w...> wrote:
          > > I noticed a recent post mentioning the Paradox.
          >
          > D'ya think it might be this one?
          >
          > http://www.btinternet.com/~w.serjeant/paradox/pl_gallery.htm
          >
          > Nels
        • dbaldnz
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2004
            Yes Nels, you are right, thanks.
            I will say I was mighty impressed with this boat. I only had a couple
            of minutes, and had to beat a hasty retreat because of a deluge and
            unstoppable incoming tide. The design is a tiny jewel.
            DonB

            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dbaldnz" <oink@w...> wrote:
            > > I noticed a recent post mentioning the Paradox.
            >
            > D'ya think it might be this one?
            >
            > http://www.btinternet.com/~w.serjeant/paradox/pl_gallery.htm
            >
            > Nels
          • Nels
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2004
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Menz" <paradigmhomes@h...>
              wrote:
              > Nels,
              >
              > Good Heavens man, I have finally found a boat group you don't
              belong
              > to!

              Hi Richard,

              I hate to disappoint you but I belong to both groups, and am a co-
              moderator at the Paradox group:-)

              I posted the link to Bill's site just for convenience sake so non-
              members of those groups cold see the boat that Don referred to.

              I have the Paradox plan package and building book on CD, but find the
              boat has a few features that don't suit my planned usage and that
              MICRO meets.

              Paradox is not designed to use a motor and has no space aboard for
              anchors and such that is outside the living quarters. Also when it
              rains your bed gets wet and there is no space for a porta potti.

              I know that most, if no all these things can either be tolerated or
              else overcome with a larger version. And in the files in
              Microcruising are a few examples sketched by Matt.

              Paradox is an incredible design for what it was intended (Single-
              handed micro-cruising.) The rig design and chine runners are scoffed
              at by "serious" sailers, yet everyone who builds one loves the ease
              and effeciency of both. The designer got his ideas from a couple of
              Bolger/Payson instant boats when he discovered the exterior chine
              logs helped prevent leeway even when the leeboard was not on the
              boat. Also they showed him the magic of the sharpie hull and small
              lug rig.

              MICRO is a superior design for micro-cruising as a couple. It
              probably has about three times the useable space in a hull a couple
              of feet longer. It has dedicated self draining areas for all the
              dirty stuff, a large cockpit, and a completely dry bedroom in all
              conditions. The motor is where it should be and it's sail rig is
              close to perfection as far as maximum versatility for minimum
              investment. I believe it to be a pinnacle in design for a minimal
              cruiser... period!

              The other boat of interest is the LITTLE CRUISER that Dave and Mindy
              Bolduc have cruised in for years, which is a larger version of
              Paradox but has a centerboard and more conventional sail rig with a
              tabernacled mast. This couple is extraordinary in that they can live
              together happily in such a small boat for months at a time. Why is
              there not more Little Cruisers? I think it is because there aren't
              may couples like them:-)

              One thing I have thought about is using the AS19 plans to construct a
              larger "Paradox" by adding a larger enclosed cuddy/smaller cockpit,
              chine runners, a roller furling lug mainsail and closing off the bow
              well somewhat. The AS19 is a fast hull from what I understand.

              Cheers, Nels