Re: Micro vs.MusicBox3

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 51 , Jan 30, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "oneillparker" <jboatguy@c...> wrote:
      >> Nels,
      >
      > No one is seriously sugessting that foam be used for "ballast." The
      > point we've been trying to make, and that, as far as I can tell,
      you
      > have not conceded, is that weight is weight and the density of the
      > material matters only insofar as convinience for the task at hand.

      No, what I am saying and have said all along is that any material
      that is less dense than water is not appropriate as ballest below the
      waterline as it will cause the the boat to not self-right.

      Perhaps try to think of it this way. The most dense stuff should be
      in the bottom and the least dense above it. Then when a boat gets
      knocked down it will come back up.

      Lead is the best material for ballest because it is the most dense,
      not because 1 pound of lead weighs the same as 1 pound of styofoam or
      feathers.

      Styrofoam is about the best form of floatation because it is very
      water and rot resistant and stable in form and considerably less
      dense than water. Of course someone will likely now assert that
      helium or hydrogen would be better:-)

      Cheers, Nels
    • Nels
      Message 51 of 51 , Jan 30, 2004