RE: [bolger] Re: Micro: Epoxy, Sails & A Thank You

  • Paul Lefebvre
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 30, 2004
      Hi Nels,
      Actually, I do plan to trailer the boat all the time, no moorings in my
      immediate plans, and slips and docks in these parts cost more than my house.
      Besides I'm already an insomniac, and when the wind comes up I know I won't
      sleep a wink unless my boat is safely tucked in beside the garage. With that
      long stick and my occasionally weak back in mind, I decided to go with
      birds-mouth spars. I did both mizzen and main sprit booms last winter out of
      doug fir decking and they are quite light for their size and strength; I'm
      about to tackle the mizzen mast and will do the mainmast last. I put off
      doing the masts as I didn't yet have the room in my shop for setting up my
      full-size 'spar bench' (two canoe strongbacks end-to-end), and I need the
      bench to support the scarfing of strips for the mainmast. I also needed to
      convince myself I could get a 26' spar out of my basement!
      I may eventually get a little creative with sailplan, but first I figure
      I'll live with the basic rig and see how it goes. One of the things that
      drew me to Micro is the simplicity of the rig, and when Peter let me sail
      Lestat on Lake Champlain, I really enjoyed the feeling of a big, steady boat
      underneath, and a single string to pull. I sail to relax, and that's how it
      felt. I'd have to look at the plans to know what the increase in sail area
      is for the 26' mast over the 23 footer; I can't remember off the top of my
      head. But Bolger himself has said he added that option to answer complaints
      of poor performance in light air, as the added sail is up higher where it'll
      do the most good - sounded like he did it just for me. Paraphrasing his
      letter from memory, 'They're not dogs by any means, but I think you will
      enjoy the added performance this will provide'. I definitely got the
      impression he wanted someone to try it, as at the time I bought plans I
      don't think it had yet been built. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has
      since passed me, I've been going so slowly with this project.

      I, too, have pored over my Sailrite catalogs and fantasized about a cute
      dodger of some sort on my Micro; but custom cushions will be a higher
      priority. First I just need to get the boat in the water!

      Paul