Re: Good First Boat . . . for a big guy

  • Ron Magen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2004
      I've been 'listening in' on this discussion.

      FWIW - in terms of ease of construction, stability, and over-all 'user
      friendliness', I would like to suggest . . .

      'RUBEN's NYMPH'

      At 8ft LOA x 4ft 6in beam with a length-wise center thwart {for
      balance}, it should give a dry ride for you and a companion. She is
      quite stable, and if memory serves, has a 600+ pound load capacity.

      The last one I built was sold to a gentleman who wanted something his
      wife, who had a degenerative muscular diseases, would feel comfortable
      getting into.

      Payson's "New Instant Boats" has a section on the 'regular' Nymph.
      'Rubens' is simply 1 foot wider. While I would not necessarily recommend
      it for a 'first attempt', it is a simple matter to expand the frames &
      transoms from the dimensions in the book. The plans {from Dynamite} are
      cheap enough, will give you greater confidence, and will have any recent
      up-dates from the book drawings.

      Regards & Good Luck,
      Ron Magen
      Backyard Boatshop
      {If you would like a couple of pictures of a finished boat, drop me a
      line}