[bolger] Re: mast anxiety

  • Leo W. Foltz
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2000
      Francisco,
      I used pinus silvestris for mast and spars of our dinghy (Ian Oughtred
      design) which we did build 7 years ago. Glued and coated with epoxy (WEST)
      everything is still in perfect condition. The WEST epoxy wasn't totally
      satisfying as some dry spots appeared in the second coat. Later on I
      varnished everything with VOLVOX Fussbodenlack that is a sea water resistant
      material mainly used on wooden floors and consistent of the natural resins
      Chinese tung oil and colophonium. Smells nicely!
      I always look at the wood before I buy and try to avoid a commission. If I
      can't get the required length I use a 1:12 scarf. By the way there is a nice
      chapter about mast making in "How To Build A Wooden Boat" by D.C. "Bud"
      McIntosh.

      Leo, on the banks of the River Rhine