[bolger] Re: Convertible Cabin-top

  • Wmrpage@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
      The correct analogy is not between an open box and one with abutting flaps,
      but between a box with closed and joined flaps (i.e. able to take both
      compression and tension loads) and one with separated flaps, joined only at
      one end (i.e. near the bow). The latter corresponds to the the "slotted
      cabin" designs. The former is a box girder. In doing this experiment with
      small boxes, the ability of closely fitting flaps to absorb compression loads
      might give a misleading impression. If the flaps of the latter are trimmed
      back so they don't can't make contact with each other and that box's rigidity
      compared to that of a box with the flaps butted and taped together, I think
      you might find some merit in my argument. I remain inclined to think that as
      far as structural strength is concerned, the two halves of a "slotted" cabin
      top have to be considered as independent, non-mutually supporting,
      structures. As far as bouyancy generating structures above the sheer-line
      ("top-sides") go, can you suggest a suitable terminology that takes into
      account the bouyancy of both the "top-sides" and the cabin sides, as so
      dramatically described in Bolger's description of "Birdwatcher" laid on its
      beams ends so the children can watch the fishies through the submerged cabin
      windows?

      Bill in tropical MN, wondering where I put my canoe's new license.