[bolger] Re: Home made table saws

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
      >Chuck,
      >I used one and I still had ten fingers, last time I counted. My
      >father has 9 2/3
      >fingers, but he lost the end of the one to a bone infection in
      >childhood, not his
      >saw. As Dave Ryan pointed out, plenty of people cut off fingers with expensive
      saws (and planes, jointers, routers, drills, you name it) as well. Frankly,

      My point was not that factory tools are just as dangerous as
      half-baked home-made jobbies.

      Rather, it was that the most experience users given all the
      advantages in safety and ergonomic design still manage to have their
      situation go from "just fine" to "completely unacceptable" in the
      blink of an eye.

      With regard to hokey home-made saw rigs, to quote from our name sake
      (when commenting on some only slighly more ill-advised modifications
      to, and uses of the LS Margaret Ellen,) "The worst case scenarios
      range from embarrassing to fatal."

      I'm quite willing to risk death (if the risk is very slight,) for a
      little glory. But I'm quite sure I'm not willing to risk the
      embarrassment of cutting off my own finger because I couldn't find
      $100 for an incredibly useful tool.

      Yes, you could do the same stupid thing with a Rockwell, but at least
      you wouldn't have spend the rest your life explaining why you were
      using a Rockwell.

      David Ryan
      Minister of Information and Culture
      Crumbling Empire Productions
      (212) 247-0296
    • alex
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
        The book is published by International Marine, Camden, Maine

        I can copy a couple of pages for you if your library does not
        have it. Email me at alexm@...
        alex

        cpcorrei-@... wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3312
        > In a message dated 2/29/00 9:30:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        alexm@...
        > writes:
        >
        > << It's inaccurate and rather dangerous contraption, but, if you
        > are into it, check "Boat Joinery and Cabinetmaking Simplified"
        > by Fred Bingham. He calls it a $5 saw.
        > >>

        > Where would you find this?

      • alex
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
          Or you can replace the original bench saw top with a homemade. All it
          takes is to drill holes for 8 bolts (Delta and B&D models) and chisel a
          bit underneath the motor mounts. This way you could still use a stock
          blade guard, through mine was unworthy. I would be more concern with
          jury-rigged fences like the one Bill described below, since even a
          small slant of a fence towards the back of the blade can result in
          injury. And I agree with Bill that reaping narrow stuff is dangerous -
          use pushsticks and featherboards.

          At any rate, in my books, a table saw is only as good as its fence, and
          good fences are expensive. Which might make a decent used table saw a
          better deal. I took a different route and build a table for both a
          router and the old bench saw, so I felt less guilty talking myself into
          Incra fence...

          I have to admit that building my own table saw was almost as enjoyable
          as building a boat

          alex

          "william d> jochems" <wjochem-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3333
          > Bolgeristas,
          > The worst features of bench saws are the small tops and flimsy
          fences. A
          > new top, 2 or 3 times larger than original, can be made of half inch
          ply and
          > bolted down to the original top. Cut an opening for the blade and
          draw a
          > series of lines all the way across the new top parallel to the blade.
          Then
          > use a very straight board about 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 as a fence, which you
          align
          > with the pencil lines and secure with a "C" clamp at either end. The
          > improvement is well worth the small loss of depth of cut. But, it's
          also
          > more dangerous since you no longer have a guard. Incidentally, I'm
          told that
          > the most frequent injury is from pulling small boards through. The
          blade can
          > drive the board backwards, dragging the pulling hand into the blade.
          > Bill Jochems----Original Message-----
          > From: Peter Vanderwaart <pvanderw@...>
          > To: bolger@... <bolger@...>
          > Date: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 10:23 AM
          > Subject: [bolger] Re: Home made table saws
          >

          > >To: Cheap saw enthusiasts
          > >
          > >Once upon a time, about 1974, a friend who was enthused about
          > >woodworking got me a little enthused about boatbuilding. This was
          when
          > >I started the my Elegant Punt.
          > >
          > >I acted on his idea for a table saw which was to buy a very
          > >inexpensive, small table saw, the top surface of which is about a
          foot
          > >square. It is powered by a separately purchased electric motor via a
          > >belt. I can't remeber if the cost was $30 total, or $30 for the saw
          and
          > >$30 for the motor. These things were probably advertised in the back
          of
          > >Popular Science.
          > >
          > >Following my friend's suggestions, this small saw was set flush in
          the
          > >surface of a rough, homemade wooden table (2'x4'). I dadoed a groove
          > >for a guide for the stock.
          > >
          > >This contrivence has not been used in years, but I still have it,
          piled
          > >two feet high with junk, mostly useless pieces of scrap wood. I will
          > >certainly never use it. If I ever need a table saw I will buy a
          > >sensible used saw from the classified ads or eBay. Or Home Depot.
          > >
          > >If anyone wants it, e-mail me. You can find my unabridged e-mail
          > >address at
          > >http://members.xoom.com/vandep I'm in Connecticut.
          > >
          > >Peter in Stamford, CT who is really more interested in design than
          > >building, more mathematician than wood butcher, more computer
          > >programmer than wood finisher.

        • david
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
            David Ryan,
            Whatevah.... Maybe you should try to lighten up a little. The caution
            sign was turned on a long time ago, and nobody's arguing with you,
            david

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 4, 2000
              Chuck,
              Here are the plans, better late than never I suppose,
              david

              CPCorreia@... wrote:

              David,

              I would love a copy of this for interest sake, but I've been put off a bit
              from my original post by all the talk of losing fingers and being chased by a
              runaway saw!

              Chuck C., FS, on the banks of the Suisun Slough, contemplating a long life
              with 10 fingers.

              GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds!  Get rates
              as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
              Apply NOW!
              http://click.egroups.com/1/975/5/_/3457/_/951941627/

              -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
              -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=bolger&m=1