[bolger] Re: Plans for Storm Petrel?

  • Matthew Long
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2000
      If you mean the boat, not the bird, search for "storm petrel" to find
      my (and others') earlier postings in the group, most recently #3304.

      Here is the link again to Chuck Merrell's site for Phil's DIFFERENT
      BOATS chapter on Storm Petrel in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format:

      http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/merrellc1/Files/petrel.pdf

      There are also a couple of pics in the vault of Marc Lander's
      spritsail-sloop-rigged Storm Petrel in San Francisco, as well as my
      sketch of a modified (cuddy top and "eye" deadlights) one.

      Regards,

      Matthew

      david ryan <davi-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3335

      > FBBB --
      >
      > Thanks for the lesson. It makes me rather curious about the boat. Any
      > online pictures/drawings?
    • Lincoln Ross
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3, 2000
        I know the following is a long post, but it seems relevant to the
        recent discussions of the Storm Petrel and of rigs. I quote below from
        two messages I received from various Newlands (I've lost track, or
        possibly just one) of Swallowboats.

        "The dipping lug is a fantastic rig in many ways. Our designer is a big
        fan of Phil Bolger! However, I have sailed her extensively with the
        dipping lug and tacking is not the main problem in my experience.
        Because the sail is so small (70 sq foot, as opposed to a few hundred sq
        foot in the trad fishing boats) it can be dipped by unhooking the tack
        and flicking the throat of the sail round the mast, then re hooking. It
        does take longer than a normal rig, and is quicker with two, as the
        other person can move the sheet block to the other side of the boat,
        whilst the crew man is dipping.
        In my experience the worst feature of the rig is that it is not very
        stable when running in a blow. Bolger says it is docile....hmmm... maybe
        it is when you have a few tonnes of lead in your keel, as his live-
        aboard has. On a small dingy, the twist in the sail causes rythmic
        rolling which nearly capsized me the other day! In addition to this, if
        the sail is let out too far, the boat can capsize the "wrong" way, that
        is too windward. obviously the sheets would be knotted to prevent this,
        but it still feels out of control when running to my mind. Having said
        this, It was approaching a force 7 and on a broad reach I am sure I had
        her almost planing!, which for her double ended hull form is pretty much
        impossible!
        I thought about adding some form of loose footed boom from the mast to
        the clew, but concluded it would get in the way a lot when dipping. I
        have yet to do the experiments on this though, and if you are
        interested, I will get back to you, hopefully with photos.
        At the moment I am sailing her with a balanced lug rig, which is
        superbly controllable, with an adjustable outhaul, and temporary full
        width, variable thickness battens.
        She performs well under this rig, and we have some photos at the
        developers, which we will post on the website as soon as we have them
        back.
        > > http://www.swallowboats.demon.co.uk/storm-petrel.htm
        > > A double ender by a UK designer Nick Newland of Swallowboats.
        > snip
        With reference to the lug rigs...
        The fully battened sail definitely improves the performance somewhat,
        especially when sailing on the "wrong" tack. The battens help to hold
        the shape over the mast. The tension in the foot of the sail (outhaul)
        is fairly important, but we are also looking at some different ways of
        easing the problem. Aerodynamics tells us that there must be a loss of
        efficiency on the wrong tack, but to be honest, I have not noticed it
        myself when sailing.
        In light to moderate winds I can reliably tack the rig through 80
        degrees, though the last 5 on either side tend to be a bit slower. In
        stronger winds, the head of the sail gets blown too much to leeward
        meaning that the boom has to be sheeted almost to the centreline in
        order for the top of the sail to be working. This twist in high windsis
        a problem, but we are experimenting with different cuts of sail to see
        what can be done to address this problem.
        Unfortunately, test conditions here on the West coast of Wales have been
        far from perfect over the last month or so, and it has been difficult to
        obtain much meaningful test information.
        We have far from given up on the dipping lug rig, but do feel that it is
        not giving it's full potential yet. In theory, it should perform
        superbly, and this is what we are working towards!