[bolger] Re: Convertible Cabin-top

  • Chris Crandall
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
      On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 Wmrpage@... wrote:

      > This is pure B.S., but I think:

      > 1) Yes: the great freeboard of the "slot-top" cabins like
      > "Birdwatcher", etc. are probably very important to their ultimate
      > stability. (pure B.S., of course) I very much doubt that the topsides
      > are structurally significant

      First, topsides means the side of the hull, from the waterline to the
      gunwhales. They are *always* structurally significant, of course.

      But the top of the boat (the "upper deck"?).
      They are structurally significant, too.

      Imagine a cardboard box, with no top at all.
      Then imagine a cardboard box, with two flaps, that, when firmly
      taped down, don't quite meet in the center.

      Which is stiffer?
      The one with the attached flaps, and by a long shot.

      Chris Crandall crandall@... (785) 864-4131
      Department of Psychology University of Kansas Lawrence, KS 66045
      I have data convincingly disconfirming the Duhem-Quine hypothesis.
    • Lincoln Ross
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
        I have a vague recollection of something like this that was available
        in the 1970's, possibly by Oday.

        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3346

      • Shorty@ShortyPen.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
          1 - How about a telescoping cabin that would pop up? Normal looking
          deck, then, after dropped sail, pull up the cabin. That way can keep a
          low sail and have a tall cabin.

          2 - How about a hinged cabin that rotates up? The hinge at the forward
          edge of the cabin, triangular shaped sides to the cabin, and pops up
          when sails are dropped.

          I really like the idea! Low center of gravity while sailing, tall cabin
          at anchor (home made anchor that is). Wonder why a boat like this
          hasn't been designed yet?
        • KF4call@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000

            << - How about a telescoping cabin that would pop up? Normal looking
            deck, then, after dropped sail, pull up the cabin. That way can keep a
            low sail and have a tall cabin. >>

            One of the major manufacturers of porta-potties already makes one. It is an
            inflatable. Sort of a phone booth-like room with inflatable pillars on each
            corner and a porta-pottie sitting on the floor of the booth.. An outrageous
            price as I recall though.

            <<How about a hinged cabin that rotates up? The hinge at the forward
            edge of the cabin, triangular shaped sides to the cabin, and pops up
            when sails are dropped>>

            I thought of something similar...a set up like the sun screen on a
            traditional baby buggy, ...side frames about 3-4 feet long, with pivot points
            aft and the "top" of the frame made to fold down forward (side frames joined
            forward at a central point ) or to fold "up" aft to extend over the storage
            compartment of an Oldshoe (or similar small boat), which could have a
            portapottie placed in it.

            Regards, Warren
          • Wmrpage@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2000
              The correct analogy is not between an open box and one with abutting flaps,
              but between a box with closed and joined flaps (i.e. able to take both
              compression and tension loads) and one with separated flaps, joined only at
              one end (i.e. near the bow). The latter corresponds to the the "slotted
              cabin" designs. The former is a box girder. In doing this experiment with
              small boxes, the ability of closely fitting flaps to absorb compression loads
              might give a misleading impression. If the flaps of the latter are trimmed
              back so they don't can't make contact with each other and that box's rigidity
              compared to that of a box with the flaps butted and taped together, I think
              you might find some merit in my argument. I remain inclined to think that as
              far as structural strength is concerned, the two halves of a "slotted" cabin
              top have to be considered as independent, non-mutually supporting,
              structures. As far as bouyancy generating structures above the sheer-line
              ("top-sides") go, can you suggest a suitable terminology that takes into
              account the bouyancy of both the "top-sides" and the cabin sides, as so
              dramatically described in Bolger's description of "Birdwatcher" laid on its
              beams ends so the children can watch the fishies through the submerged cabin
              windows?

              Bill in tropical MN, wondering where I put my canoe's new license.