Re: double ender schooner

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gentfarmer20022000"
      <gentfarmer20022000@y...> wrote:
      > hello,am a new member to this group.years ago i built a bolger
      > surf,several elegant punts,a nymph,a payson kayak and a model of
      > centenial.recently built a mouse and just purchased plans of a

      trilars.
      > am from cape breton island but living in n.c.
      usa.
      > recently purchased a property on bras d'or lakes C.B. nova scotia
      > where i'm from.only get there for 3 wks.in summer and need a boat
      > leave there.have long admired payson single hand schooner.is double
      > end schooner in photo files one of
      them?
      > have never seen any info on one built,etc etc,any info would be
      > appreciated.

      Hey gent, Welcome to the group:-)

      I believe what you are referring to is the FOLDING SCHOONER - which
      is sort of like two surfs joined end for end.

      The best building page is from our esteemed moderator:

      http://www.carlsondesign.com/lscooner.html

      And here is another great site from down under:

      http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/INDEX.HTM

      Have fun and when you get back to CB say hi for me to that cute
      singer who has the tea room on bras d'or. What a beatiful area!

      Cheers Nels
    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2004
        > Payson single hand schooner.

        This boat is also know as the His & Hers Schooner. I belive that boat
        in the pictures you referred is a different boat. Certainly, the
        plans call for more deck area. Pictures of very nice model have just
        been posted in the Photos section of the Bolger3 group. (Look for
        Bolger Models.)

        The gentleman for whom the design was drawn did build one. It's
        pictured in BWAOM, I believe. Another is under construction by Susan
        Davis who posts here, and who will probably speak up if she should
        happen to see your message.

        I would be very surprised if there are not several more swimming
        around that I don't know about.

        Peter
      • David Ryan
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2004
          We were up that way this past Summer, and the SHS is one the boats
          I'd consider for poking along the South Coast of Newfoundland. The
          His and Hers/Singlehanded Schooner seems like it would be a
          delightful boat for Bras d'Or Lake, with one thing to consider:

          Bolger describes the heavily weighted daggerboard as more of a
          removable keel. I'd get that there is plenty of deep water in Bras
          d'Or, but if your own sailing circumstances need a shoal draft, or
          beachable boat, the 125lbs daggerboard could be a bit of a nuisances.
          But if you're sailing off dock I doubt there's anyplace on the lake
          that boat wouldn't take you... and you'd get there in style!

          YIBB,

          David

          --

          C.E.P.
          415 W.46th Street
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2004
            > have long admired payson single hand schooner.is double
            > end schooner in photo files one of them?

            No, that's a different design, and one that I've never seen documented
            anywhere. I suppose PCB knows which design that one is, but it isn't
            #512, which is the Payson one.

            There are some construction photos of my Singlehand Schooner on the
            "Bolger3" group in the "His and Her Schooner" folder. I'll post some
            more if I get a chance to take some; I spent a good chunk of today
            trying to get the deck ready for installation -- I decided to add 1
            1/2" of styrofoam under the decks to give the boat full positive
            buoyancy and as extra insulation for spring and fall camping, and
            shaping and gluing took a while. It's a shame that this warm weather
            is going to go away tomorrow....

            --
            Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
          • Susan Davis
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2004
              > Bolger describes the heavily weighted daggerboard as more of a
              > removable keel. I'd get that there is plenty of deep water in Bras
              > d'Or, but if your own sailing circumstances need a shoal draft, or
              > beachable boat, the 125lbs daggerboard could be a bit of a
              > nuisance.

              I'm considering building a second daggerboard, unweighted, for
              precisely that purpose. The existing keel and rudder are just right
              for Lake Ontario, but I have some odd ideas about building a portage
              dolly that could be carried on board and portaging her from river to
              river or lake to lake. While I'm at it, a second rudder, shallower
              and possibly with a removable end plate, might be worth an experiment.

              --
              Susan Davis <futabachan@...>