[bolger] Re: Micro warm-up/boatbuilder's "pass"

  • David Jost
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
      Pippo,
      I am terribly sorry that your Kiwi breakfast was spoiled. It does
      not look like my plans for a trip to Italy in a few years will
      materialize.
      In my real life I am a school teacher. Our students need hall
      passes to travel about the building during classroom hours. Therefore,
      I am qualified to send you a boatbuilders "hall pass". Please show
      this to your wife and explain your need to go to the boat room, and you
      have my permission. Yes, it's legal.
      Print and tear off.
      BOATBUILDER'S PASS

      THIS PASS ENTITLES THE OWNER TO PROCEED TO THE BOATBUILDING AREA FOR A
      SUM OF ____ HOURS. PLEASE RETURN THIS PASS WHEN FINISHED. THE OWNER
      IS NOT ALLOWED TO TRANSPORT CHILDREN, DO YARD/HOUSEWORK, BABYSIT, OR GO
      SHOPPING FOR ANY MATERIAL THAT IS NOT BOAT RELATED UNTIL THIS PASS IS
      RETURNED.

      SINCERELY,
      DAVID N. JOST, HEADMASTER

      spring is getting closer, I bought the lumber for the main mast today!
      Cut and scarf this weekend. Weather permitting.

      "giuseppe 'pippo' bianco" <pippobianc-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3296
      > Hi Francisco
      >
      > > I recived my plans from PB&F ten days ago, and I hope I can start
      > > building in march. I plan to follow the keys with the help of
      Pippo's
      > > web page, so... hurry up, Pippo!!
      >
      > Gosh, what a responsibility... however, I could turn this to my
      favour.
      > Francisco, why don't you write a message to my wife explaining to her
      > that I need more time to devote to the boat? I'm really thinking to go
      > downstairs when everybody else at home goes to sleep, because if I
      wait
      > for the week-ends... and, the last one, I was stuck doing baby-sitting
      > the whole saturday, and when sunday came, I had to bring my son to the
      > circus (well, sort of: dogs, cats, pigeons)... and my nice bulkhead B
      > drawings down there on the plywood, ready to be cut...
      > Must go now, regatta time... we'll have kiwis for breakfast ;-)
      >
      > Best, Pippo

    • Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
        Hi David
        I really hope that my self-kidding regarding the AC regatta was
        evident. The kiwis are simply from another planet, and this was crystal
        clear since the very first tack of the first race. Now, if the regatta
        was in the bay of Naples, we could have organized some "extra" events,
        like stealing their bulb, sails or mast (or the whole boat for that
        matter), but down there is difficult. Even if Francesco and Torben
        didn't make that incredible error at the first crossing, there would
        have been no chance anyway. Well, that's it.
        Thanks for the boatbuilders pass. Did it work for you?
        Best, Pippo

        P.S.: my wife is a teacher too (humanities, high school).
      • David Jost
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
          Pippo,
          I teach music, high school.
          I still do not understand why they chose to go left when throughout
          the entire regatta the right side has been heavily favored. They must
          know that their boat is slower and are willing to take a large gamble.

          This is such a momentus task to win the cup. If you are a
          challenger, you need to get the resources developed, team built,
          boat(s) built, and delivered to the race area and then survive almost
          two seasons of intensly different weather.

          The Kiwis already know when they will be sailing the next race,
          and only have to concentrate on boat development, and team building
          over the next three years. They know what the average wind speed will
          be in late February/early March already, and will not have to survive
          the heavier winds of the earlier regatta.

          The way to win: Two boats, one a lightweight America's Cup boat, and
          the other a heavier Louis Vitton model. In the US they should
          eliminate the representing teams down to one challenger and then pool
          their resources to fine tune the campaign now. It is the only way they
          have a chance.

          I am dropping the guantlet now. I am challenging all takers to a
          Bolger Boat race. Any bolger boat may enter. Let's form a committee
          to work out the details. Aw...forget it. Let's just boat and
          party!!!!!
          "giuseppe 'pippo' bianco" <pippobianc-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3338
          > Hi David
          > I really hope that my self-kidding regarding the AC regatta was
          > evident. The kiwis are simply from another planet, and this was
          crystal
          > clear since the very first tack of the first race. Now, if the regatta
          > was in the bay of Naples, we could have organized some "extra" events,
          > like stealing their bulb, sails or mast (or the whole boat for that
          > matter), but down there is difficult. Even if Francesco and Torben
          > didn't make that incredible error at the first crossing, there would
          > have been no chance anyway. Well, that's it.
          > Thanks for the boatbuilders pass. Did it work for you?
          > Best, Pippo
          >
          > P.S.: my wife is a teacher too (humanities, high school).

        • Stan Muller
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
            David, so kindly wrote;
            BOATBUILDER'S PASS

            THIS PASS ENTITLES THE OWNER TO PROCEED TO THE BOATBUILDING AREA FOR A
            SUM OF ____ HOURS. PLEASE RETURN THIS PASS WHEN FINISHED. THE OWNER
            IS NOT ALLOWED TO TRANSPORT CHILDREN, DO YARD/HOUSEWORK, BABYSIT, OR GO
            SHOPPING FOR ANY MATERIAL THAT IS NOT BOAT RELATED UNTIL THIS PASS IS
            RETURNED.

            SINCERELY,
            DAVID N. JOST, HEADMASTER

            Having just printed a goodly supply of copies, I thank you, both for
            leaving the boat builders name off so we all can use it, and leaving
            enough room for the date to allow for white-out changes. Just like I did
            with hall passes some fifty years ago.
            Stan, SG; Who just had to drop near $100 for pilot house materials, and
            still doesn't know what to do with them.
          • oink@paradise.net.nz
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
              Gosh David, is your school in a prison?
              Don

              > In my real life I am a school teacher. Our students need hall
              > passes to travel about the building during classroom hours. Therefore,
              > I am qualified to send you a boatbuilders "hall pass". Please show
              > this to your wife and explain your need to go to the boat room, and you
              > have my permission. Yes, it's legal.
              > Print and tear off.
              > BOATBUILDER'S PASS
              >
              > THIS PASS ENTITLES THE OWNER TO PROCEED TO THE BOATBUILDING AREA FOR A
              > SUM OF ____ HOURS. PLEASE RETURN THIS PASS WHEN FINISHED. THE OWNER
              > IS NOT ALLOWED TO TRANSPORT CHILDREN, DO YARD/HOUSEWORK, BABYSIT, OR GO
              > SHOPPING FOR ANY MATERIAL THAT IS NOT BOAT RELATED UNTIL THIS PASS IS
              > RETURNED.
              >
              > SINCERELY,
              > DAVID N. JOST, HEADMASTER
              >
              > spring is getting closer, I bought the lumber for the main mast today!
              > Cut and scarf this weekend. Weather permitting.
              >

              > "giuseppe 'pippo' bianco" <pippobianc-@...> wrote:
              > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3296
              > > Hi Francisco
              > >
              > > > I recived my plans from PB&F ten days ago, and I hope I can start
              > > > building in march. I plan to follow the keys with the help of
              > Pippo's
              > > > web page, so... hurry up, Pippo!!
              > >
              > > Gosh, what a responsibility... however, I could turn this to my
              > favour.
              > > Francisco, why don't you write a message to my wife explaining to her
              > > that I need more time to devote to the boat? I'm really thinking to go
              > > downstairs when everybody else at home goes to sleep, because if I
              > wait
              > > for the week-ends... and, the last one, I was stuck doing baby-sitting
              > > the whole saturday, and when sunday came, I had to bring my son to the
              > > circus (well, sort of: dogs, cats, pigeons)... and my nice bulkhead B
              > > drawings down there on the plywood, ready to be cut...
              > > Must go now, regatta time... we'll have kiwis for breakfast ;-)
              > >
              > > Best, Pippo

              > -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=bolger&m=1

            • David Jost
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2000
                In many ways, yes.
                not boat related, but societal issue related which I guess comes back
                to boats eventually. There are always a few individuals that spoil it
                for everyone forcing the government agencies, school administrations,
                etc. . . to pass blanket laws that affect everyone.
                I am willing to bet that the production boats are so expensive due to
                the builders having to roll the cost of safety inspections,
                regulations, insurance, etc. . . on to the purchaser.
                "Warning, keep objects and fingers away from blade while operating"

                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3356