Re: Bolger Cruising Canoe, Dugong

  • dovekie107
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3 5:59 AM
      I recall seeing Dugong come around for sale about 5 years ago??
      It was listed in MAIB and I think the asking price then was around
      $5-6000.

      Jake

      > I was not able to buy it, as Ida thought that the sale price
      should compensate them for the labor, which was about 4X what it
      should have been, even for a cold-moulded boat. I expect that they'd
      taken a lot of time-outs from building to drink sold beverages :-)
      It seems that she was asking over US$10K in '84; a lot of money for
      asmall boat with no engineered systems aboard. I had about $2500
      ready to put into the deal, which was about what a good used San
      Juan 21 with trailer and complete (racing) set of sails cost at that
      time. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't get her, as I was living in
      FL and would have had the same complaints they had. However, it is
      to me still one of Bolger's most beautiful efforts BTW, I spoke to
      him about buying Dugong and he said much the same about the pricing
      as I mentioned above.

      > Cheers/The Fader
    • David Romasco
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3 9:38 AM
        They were also put off by how difficult the rig was to handle (as originally
        designed). I was initially quite taken by this design, but having cruised
        the same waters in various small craft, I understand their objections.
        Sailing Florida Bay, a Black Skimmer made more sense, whereas the Bahamas
        might call for a bit more boat. Based on their current boat, it would seem
        they agree.

        David Romasco

        _____