Re: [bolger] Bolger Cruising Canoe, Dugong

  • johnfader
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
      I had extensive conversations with Ida about the boat in the '83-86 years. A couple of times I tried to buy Dugong, as they weren't very pleased with the design for their use. With the simple rig, it wasn't a great sailer, plus they were cruising in the tropics and it was a hot boat, tightly enclosed and with poor ventilation. In 86 they were building a classic schooner non-Bolger)as a replacement.

      I was not able to buy it, as Ida thought that the sale price should compensate them for the labor, which was about 4X what it should have been, even for a cold-moulded boat. I expect that they'd taken a lot of time-outs from building to drink sold beverages :-) It seems that she was asking over US$10K in '84; a lot of money for asmall boat with no engineered systems aboard. I had about $2500 ready to put into the deal, which was about what a good used San Juan 21 with trailer and complete (racing) set of sails cost at that time. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't get her, as I was living in FL and would have had the same complaints they had. However, it is to me still one of Bolger's most beautiful efforts BTW, I spoke to him about buying Dugong and he said much the same about the pricing as I mentioned above.

      Cheers/The Fader

      RKAMILS wrote:

      That boat would have to be called a success as I have read, in various
      sailing mags, several articles going back for a lot of years on their exploits.
      Their being Ida and her partner.
    • dovekie107
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
        When reviewing Dugong in her book "Beach Cruising and Coastal
        Camping" Ida Little states that if they had it to do over again
        they'd have bought a Dovekie and modified it for their purposes.

        Being a Dovekie sailor I've often wondered what modifications they
        might have made to make long term (several months) cruising in a
        small, mostly open boat comfortable.

        Jake

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
          I recall seeing Dugong come around for sale about 5 years ago??
          It was listed in MAIB and I think the asking price then was around
          $5-6000.

          Jake

          > I was not able to buy it, as Ida thought that the sale price
          should compensate them for the labor, which was about 4X what it
          should have been, even for a cold-moulded boat. I expect that they'd
          taken a lot of time-outs from building to drink sold beverages :-)
          It seems that she was asking over US$10K in '84; a lot of money for
          asmall boat with no engineered systems aboard. I had about $2500
          ready to put into the deal, which was about what a good used San
          Juan 21 with trailer and complete (racing) set of sails cost at that
          time. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't get her, as I was living in
          FL and would have had the same complaints they had. However, it is
          to me still one of Bolger's most beautiful efforts BTW, I spoke to
          him about buying Dugong and he said much the same about the pricing
          as I mentioned above.

          > Cheers/The Fader
        • David Romasco
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
            They were also put off by how difficult the rig was to handle (as originally
            designed). I was initially quite taken by this design, but having cruised
            the same waters in various small craft, I understand their objections.
            Sailing Florida Bay, a Black Skimmer made more sense, whereas the Bahamas
            might call for a bit more boat. Based on their current boat, it would seem
            they agree.

            David Romasco

            _____

            When reviewing Dugong in her book "Beach Cruising and Coastal
            Camping" Ida Little states that if they had it to do over again
            they'd have bought a Dovekie and modified it for their purposes.

            Being a Dovekie sailor I've often wondered what modifications they
            might have made to make long term (several months) cruising in a
            small, mostly open boat comfortable.

            Jake

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, johnfader <johnfader@b...> wrote:
            > I had extensive conversations with Ida about the boat in the '83-
            86 years. A couple of times I tried to buy Dugong, as they weren't
            very pleased with the design for their use. With the simple rig, it
            wasn't a great sailer, plus they were cruising in the tropics and it
            was a hot boat, tightly enclosed and with poor ventilation.

            Bolger rules!!!
            (978) 282-1349

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links