Sponson Sharpie/Canoe

  • Andy Farquhar
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
      I've drawn, lofted and started to build a sponson sharpie/canoe that
      is similar to Bolger's Gloucester Yawl. I've downloaded a drawing
      in the Bolger2 site under "Files" in the Gloucester Yawl section
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bolger2/files/Gloucester%20Yawl/).
      I'll download construction pics later. I've stitched together the
      hull and will start glassing this week.

      The boat is two sheets of ply long. The main hull has a beam of
      24" - 36" at the sponsons. For the main hull, I extended the length
      of Bolger's Peero to 15'9". The hull is 14" deep at the greatest
      beam. I'm making it out of 5mm ply, stitch and glue. I will cover
      the bottom of the hull on the outside with 6 ox. glass. I may add a
      1x2 white oak shoe/keel to stiffen the bottom and help with
      tracking. There is a watertight bulkhead behind the cockpit and a
      hatch is planned for the aft deck. I'll put foam uder the forward
      deck for flotation. I hope to achieve a main hull with less wetted
      surface that is easier to paddle than the more traditional canoes
      that I've made. I also want to be able to sail and so needed the
      sponsons' beam.

      I plan to sail it with a balanced lug rig that I use on a sailing
      canoe. I'll paddle with a single blade paddle. I plan to use a
      leeboard on a removable thwart and a kick up rudder.

      My question is, what, if anything, do I owe to Mr. Bolger. I've
      ripped off not one, but two of his designs - the Gloucester Yawl for
      the general concept and the Peero for the main hull. On the one
      hand, I've bought the book, Small Boats, where the Gloucester Yawl
      plans are available. On the other hand, I feel I owe him
      something. Craig O'Donnel suggests that one send Mr. Bolger a fee
      if one uses the Peero plans which he makes available on his Cheap
      Pages. What do you suggest?

      Regards

      Andy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
        --- Andy Farquhar <pongo19050@...> wrote:
        > I've drawn, lofted and started
        > to build a sponson
        > sharpie/canoe that

        Where is the waterline under normal
        padel?

        Will it have fixed ballast when
        sailed?

        > My question is, what,
        > if anything, do I owe to Mr.
        > Bolger.

        Asking him might be the best,
        but I suspect that he 'borrows'
        ideas from all the boat designs
        [and learns lessons from the
        failures] which have preceded
        him, and those that follow
        will do the same of him.
      • Andy Farquhar
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004

          > Where is the waterline under normal
          > padel?

          The waterline is at about 5" when fully loaded, well below the
          sponsons. I use a single paddle because of a bad rotator cuff.

          > Will it have fixed ballast when
          > sailed?

          No ballast except for me on the sponsons.

          Regards

          Andy
        • craig o'donnell
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2004
            >On the other hand, I feel I owe him
            >something. Craig O'Donnel suggests that one send Mr. Bolger a fee
            >if one uses the Peero plans which he makes available on his Cheap
            >Pages. What do you suggest?

            I'd send him the Peero "shareware fee" he requests and a nice letter, and
            make sure you send photos of the results. I doubt he cares about the
            "inspired by" issue.
            --
            Craig O'Donnell
            Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

            -- Macintosh kinda guy
            Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.