Re: Bolger in Sail mag

  • s_paskey
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2004
      That would be the "Cruising Canoe," pgs. 38-43 in Different Boats.

      The idea was to get more "open water security" than offered by
      Dovekie, with some sacrifice of rowing ability. There's enough
      watertight volume to float and sail with the cockpit well completely
      flooded. As in Dovekie, all work is done from inside the boat, without going on deck.

      Regarding the rig, Bolger says that while it's larger, simpler, and
      cheaper than Dovekie's rig, it's neither as powerful nor as
      close-winded. He thinks she'd be undercanvassed in light airs, but
      capable of "spectacular passages off the wind."

      Steve Paskey

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "oneillparker" <jboatguy@c...> wrote:
      > There's pictures of a Bolger boat in Sail magazine, Jan 2004 issue
      > page 69. Name is Dugong, described as a "26 foot canoe sloop with
      6" draft." She has leeboards and, evidently, a sprit rig . . .
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "oneillparker" <jboatguy@c...> wrote:
        > There's pictures of a Bolger boat in Sail magazine, Jan 2004 issue
        > page 69. Name is Dugong, described as a "26 foot canoe sloop with
        6"
        > draft."

        An article in Small Boat Journal about Dugong was my first awareness
        of a Phil Bolger design. It was in one of the first "vertical format"
        issues. (Does anyone else recall SBJ - in the first few issues was in
        a horizontal format?)

        BIRDWATCHER was PCB's answer to a request for a plywood version of
        the Dugong/Dovkie designs. Then a request for a bigger version
        resulted in WHALEWATCHER and eventually evolved into CAMPER and
        JOCHEMS schooner from what I understand. So Dugong is a part of the
        Bolger historical legacy.

        Nels