Bolger in Sail mag

  • oneillparker
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2004
      There's pictures of a Bolger boat in Sail magazine, Jan 2004 issue
      page 69. Name is Dugong, described as a "26 foot canoe sloop with 6"
      draft." She has leeboards and, evidently, a sprit rig. She also shows
      what looks like a sprit boom in one pic. It was commissioned by the
      author, Ida Little, and Michael Walsh. The article doesn't say when,
      and they've since sold her. The point of the article is the pleasure
      of "thin-water" cruising and there's a great pic of the boat on a
      beach, obviously at low tide, cause there is virtually no water in
      sight!

      John O'Neill
    • s_paskey
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2004
        That would be the "Cruising Canoe," pgs. 38-43 in Different Boats.

        The idea was to get more "open water security" than offered by
        Dovekie, with some sacrifice of rowing ability. There's enough
        watertight volume to float and sail with the cockpit well completely
        flooded. As in Dovekie, all work is done from inside the boat, without going on deck.

        Regarding the rig, Bolger says that while it's larger, simpler, and
        cheaper than Dovekie's rig, it's neither as powerful nor as
        close-winded. He thinks she'd be undercanvassed in light airs, but
        capable of "spectacular passages off the wind."

        Steve Paskey

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "oneillparker" <jboatguy@c...> wrote:
        > There's pictures of a Bolger boat in Sail magazine, Jan 2004 issue
        > page 69. Name is Dugong, described as a "26 foot canoe sloop with
        6" draft." She has leeboards and, evidently, a sprit rig . . .
      • Nels
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2004
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "oneillparker" <jboatguy@c...> wrote:
          > There's pictures of a Bolger boat in Sail magazine, Jan 2004 issue
          > page 69. Name is Dugong, described as a "26 foot canoe sloop with
          6"
          > draft."

          An article in Small Boat Journal about Dugong was my first awareness
          of a Phil Bolger design. It was in one of the first "vertical format"
          issues. (Does anyone else recall SBJ - in the first few issues was in
          a horizontal format?)

          BIRDWATCHER was PCB's answer to a request for a plywood version of
          the Dugong/Dovkie designs. Then a request for a bigger version
          resulted in WHALEWATCHER and eventually evolved into CAMPER and
          JOCHEMS schooner from what I understand. So Dugong is a part of the
          Bolger historical legacy.

          Nels