[bolger] Re: Home made table saws

  • William D> Jochems
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
      Bolgeristas,
      The worst features of bench saws are the small tops and flimsy fences. A
      new top, 2 or 3 times larger than original, can be made of half inch ply and
      bolted down to the original top. Cut an opening for the blade and draw a
      series of lines all the way across the new top parallel to the blade. Then
      use a very straight board about 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 as a fence, which you align
      with the pencil lines and secure with a "C" clamp at either end. The
      improvement is well worth the small loss of depth of cut. But, it's also
      more dangerous since you no longer have a guard. Incidentally, I'm told that
      the most frequent injury is from pulling small boards through. The blade can
      drive the board backwards, dragging the pulling hand into the blade.
      Bill Jochems----Original Message-----
      From: Peter Vanderwaart <pvanderw@...>
      To: bolger@... <bolger@...>
      Date: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 10:23 AM
      Subject: [bolger] Re: Home made table saws

      >To: Cheap saw enthusiasts
      >
      >Once upon a time, about 1974, a friend who was enthused about
      >woodworking got me a little enthused about boatbuilding. This was when
      >I started the my Elegant Punt.
      >
      >I acted on his idea for a table saw which was to buy a very
      >inexpensive, small table saw, the top surface of which is about a foot
      >square. It is powered by a separately purchased electric motor via a
      >belt. I can't remeber if the cost was $30 total, or $30 for the saw and
      >$30 for the motor. These things were probably advertised in the back of
      >Popular Science.
      >
      >Following my friend's suggestions, this small saw was set flush in the
      >surface of a rough, homemade wooden table (2'x4'). I dadoed a groove
      >for a guide for the stock.
      >
      >This contrivence has not been used in years, but I still have it, piled
      >two feet high with junk, mostly useless pieces of scrap wood. I will
      >certainly never use it. If I ever need a table saw I will buy a
      >sensible used saw from the classified ads or eBay. Or Home Depot.
      >
      >If anyone wants it, e-mail me. You can find my unabridged e-mail
      >address at
      >http://members.xoom.com/vandep I'm in Connecticut.
      >
      >Peter in Stamford, CT who is really more interested in design than
      >building, more mathematician than wood butcher, more computer
      >programmer than wood finisher.

      >GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 0.0%
      >Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!
      >
      >eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/

    • Chris Crandall
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
        On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, david wrote:

        > sure that the pedigree goes back further than that. If anyone wants a
        > copy, I can scan the Fred Bingham design and send it off. The book was
        > published in 1983 and no longer in print, I think, so we wouldn't be
        > violating copyright law, david

        Just one a fine point, the copyright still obtains. HOwever, this might
        very well be considered fair use.

        Get a copy from the library, it's great!

        Chris Crandall crandall@... (785) 864-4131
        Department of Psychology University of Kansas Lawrence, KS 66045
        I have data convincingly disconfirming the Duhem-Quine hypothesis.
      • David Ryan
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
          >Chuck,
          >I used one and I still had ten fingers, last time I counted. My
          >father has 9 2/3
          >fingers, but he lost the end of the one to a bone infection in
          >childhood, not his
          >saw. As Dave Ryan pointed out, plenty of people cut off fingers with expensive
          saws (and planes, jointers, routers, drills, you name it) as well. Frankly,

          My point was not that factory tools are just as dangerous as
          half-baked home-made jobbies.

          Rather, it was that the most experience users given all the
          advantages in safety and ergonomic design still manage to have their
          situation go from "just fine" to "completely unacceptable" in the
          blink of an eye.

          With regard to hokey home-made saw rigs, to quote from our name sake
          (when commenting on some only slighly more ill-advised modifications
          to, and uses of the LS Margaret Ellen,) "The worst case scenarios
          range from embarrassing to fatal."

          I'm quite willing to risk death (if the risk is very slight,) for a
          little glory. But I'm quite sure I'm not willing to risk the
          embarrassment of cutting off my own finger because I couldn't find
          $100 for an incredibly useful tool.

          Yes, you could do the same stupid thing with a Rockwell, but at least
          you wouldn't have spend the rest your life explaining why you were
          using a Rockwell.

          David Ryan
          Minister of Information and Culture
          Crumbling Empire Productions
          (212) 247-0296
        • alex
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
            The book is published by International Marine, Camden, Maine

            I can copy a couple of pages for you if your library does not
            have it. Email me at alexm@...
            alex

            cpcorrei-@... wrote:
            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3312
            > In a message dated 2/29/00 9:30:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            alexm@...
            > writes:
            >
            > << It's inaccurate and rather dangerous contraption, but, if you
            > are into it, check "Boat Joinery and Cabinetmaking Simplified"
            > by Fred Bingham. He calls it a $5 saw.
            > >>

            > Where would you find this?

          • alex
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
              Or you can replace the original bench saw top with a homemade. All it
              takes is to drill holes for 8 bolts (Delta and B&D models) and chisel a
              bit underneath the motor mounts. This way you could still use a stock
              blade guard, through mine was unworthy. I would be more concern with
              jury-rigged fences like the one Bill described below, since even a
              small slant of a fence towards the back of the blade can result in
              injury. And I agree with Bill that reaping narrow stuff is dangerous -
              use pushsticks and featherboards.

              At any rate, in my books, a table saw is only as good as its fence, and
              good fences are expensive. Which might make a decent used table saw a
              better deal. I took a different route and build a table for both a
              router and the old bench saw, so I felt less guilty talking myself into
              Incra fence...

              I have to admit that building my own table saw was almost as enjoyable
              as building a boat

              alex

              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3333

            • david
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
                Chuck,
                I used one and I still had ten fingers, last time I counted. My father has 9 2/3
                fingers, but he lost the end of the one to a bone infection in childhood, not his
                saw. As Dave Ryan pointed out, plenty of people cut off fingers with expensive
                saws (and planes, jointers, routers, drills, you name it) as well. Frankly, I'm
                afraid of all my power tools no matter what they cost. It's a healthy attitude to
                maintain as long as it inspires caution instead of hysteria. I'll send you the
                plans as soon as I get my daughter (the computer czarina) to help me with the
                multileveled graphics program that has to be negotiated to get the picture from
                the scanner to Netscape. Btw, how many people have injured themselves while
                trying to beat their computers into submission?

                CPCorreia@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 3/1/00 9:50:37 AM Pacific Standard Time, galvind@...
                > writes:
                >
                > << I can scan the Fred Bingham design and send it off. The book
                > was published in 1983 and no longer in print, I think, so we wouldn't
                > be violating copyright law,
                > david >>
                >
                > David,
                >
                > I would love a copy of this for interest sake, but I've been put off a bit
                > from my original post by all the talk of losing fingers and being chased by a
                > runaway saw!
                >
                > Chuck C., FS, on the banks of the Suisun Slough, contemplating a long life
                > with 10 fingers.....
              • david
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
                  David Ryan,
                  Whatevah.... Maybe you should try to lighten up a little. The caution
                  sign was turned on a long time ago, and nobody's arguing with you,
                  david

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 4, 2000
                    Chuck,
                    Here are the plans, better late than never I suppose,
                    david

                    CPCorreia@... wrote:

                    David,

                    I would love a copy of this for interest sake, but I've been put off a bit
                    from my original post by all the talk of losing fingers and being chased by a
                    runaway saw!

                    Chuck C., FS, on the banks of the Suisun Slough, contemplating a long life
                    with 10 fingers.

                    GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds!  Get rates
                    as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
                    Apply NOW!
                    http://click.egroups.com/1/975/5/_/3457/_/951941627/

                    -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
                    -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=bolger&m=1