[bolger] Re: Home made table saws

  • James Fuller
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
      Hi,
      I would like a copy also please.

      jamar@...

      TIA

      James

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <CPCorreia@...>
      To: <bolger@egroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 1:13 PM
      Subject: [bolger] Re: Home made table saws

    • CPCorreia@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
        writes:

        << I can scan the Fred Bingham design and send it off. The book
        was published in 1983 and no longer in print, I think, so we wouldn't
        be violating copyright law,
        david >>

        David,

        I would love a copy of this for interest sake, but I've been put off a bit
        from my original post by all the talk of losing fingers and being chased by a
        runaway saw!

        Chuck C., FS, on the banks of the Suisun Slough, contemplating a long life
        with 10 fingers.
      • William D> Jochems
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
          Bolgeristas,
          The worst features of bench saws are the small tops and flimsy fences. A
          new top, 2 or 3 times larger than original, can be made of half inch ply and
          bolted down to the original top. Cut an opening for the blade and draw a
          series of lines all the way across the new top parallel to the blade. Then
          use a very straight board about 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 as a fence, which you align
          with the pencil lines and secure with a "C" clamp at either end. The
          improvement is well worth the small loss of depth of cut. But, it's also
          more dangerous since you no longer have a guard. Incidentally, I'm told that
          the most frequent injury is from pulling small boards through. The blade can
          drive the board backwards, dragging the pulling hand into the blade.
          Bill Jochems----Original Message-----
          From: Peter Vanderwaart <pvanderw@...>
          To: bolger@... <bolger@...>
          Date: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 10:23 AM

          >To: Cheap saw enthusiasts
          >
          >Once upon a time, about 1974, a friend who was enthused about
          >woodworking got me a little enthused about boatbuilding. This was when
          >I started the my Elegant Punt.
          >
          >I acted on his idea for a table saw which was to buy a very
          >inexpensive, small table saw, the top surface of which is about a foot
          >square. It is powered by a separately purchased electric motor via a
          >belt. I can't remeber if the cost was $30 total, or $30 for the saw and
          >$30 for the motor. These things were probably advertised in the back of
          >Popular Science.
          >
          >Following my friend's suggestions, this small saw was set flush in the
          >surface of a rough, homemade wooden table (2'x4'). I dadoed a groove
          >for a guide for the stock.
          >
          >This contrivence has not been used in years, but I still have it, piled
          >two feet high with junk, mostly useless pieces of scrap wood. I will
          >certainly never use it. If I ever need a table saw I will buy a
          >sensible used saw from the classified ads or eBay. Or Home Depot.
          >
          >If anyone wants it, e-mail me. You can find my unabridged e-mail
          >address at
          >http://members.xoom.com/vandep I'm in Connecticut.
          >
          >Peter in Stamford, CT who is really more interested in design than
          >building, more mathematician than wood butcher, more computer
          >programmer than wood finisher.

          >GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 0.0%
          >Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!
          >
          >eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/

        • Chris Crandall
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
            On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, david wrote:

            > sure that the pedigree goes back further than that. If anyone wants a
            > copy, I can scan the Fred Bingham design and send it off. The book was
            > published in 1983 and no longer in print, I think, so we wouldn't be
            > violating copyright law, david

            Just one a fine point, the copyright still obtains. HOwever, this might
            very well be considered fair use.

            Get a copy from the library, it's great!

            Chris Crandall crandall@... (785) 864-4131
            Department of Psychology University of Kansas Lawrence, KS 66045
            I have data convincingly disconfirming the Duhem-Quine hypothesis.
          • David Ryan
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
              >Chuck,
              >I used one and I still had ten fingers, last time I counted. My
              >father has 9 2/3
              >fingers, but he lost the end of the one to a bone infection in
              >childhood, not his
              >saw. As Dave Ryan pointed out, plenty of people cut off fingers with expensive
              saws (and planes, jointers, routers, drills, you name it) as well. Frankly,

              My point was not that factory tools are just as dangerous as
              half-baked home-made jobbies.

              Rather, it was that the most experience users given all the
              advantages in safety and ergonomic design still manage to have their
              situation go from "just fine" to "completely unacceptable" in the
              blink of an eye.

              With regard to hokey home-made saw rigs, to quote from our name sake
              (when commenting on some only slighly more ill-advised modifications
              to, and uses of the LS Margaret Ellen,) "The worst case scenarios
              range from embarrassing to fatal."

              I'm quite willing to risk death (if the risk is very slight,) for a
              little glory. But I'm quite sure I'm not willing to risk the
              embarrassment of cutting off my own finger because I couldn't find
              $100 for an incredibly useful tool.

              Yes, you could do the same stupid thing with a Rockwell, but at least
              you wouldn't have spend the rest your life explaining why you were
              using a Rockwell.

              David Ryan
              Minister of Information and Culture
              Crumbling Empire Productions
              (212) 247-0296
            • alex
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
                The book is published by International Marine, Camden, Maine

                I can copy a couple of pages for you if your library does not
                have it. Email me at alexm@...
                alex

                cpcorrei-@... wrote:
                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3312
                > In a message dated 2/29/00 9:30:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                alexm@...
                > writes:
                >
                > << It's inaccurate and rather dangerous contraption, but, if you
                > are into it, check "Boat Joinery and Cabinetmaking Simplified"
                > by Fred Bingham. He calls it a $5 saw.
                > >>

                > Where would you find this?

              • alex
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
                  Or you can replace the original bench saw top with a homemade. All it
                  takes is to drill holes for 8 bolts (Delta and B&D models) and chisel a
                  bit underneath the motor mounts. This way you could still use a stock
                  blade guard, through mine was unworthy. I would be more concern with
                  jury-rigged fences like the one Bill described below, since even a
                  small slant of a fence towards the back of the blade can result in
                  injury. And I agree with Bill that reaping narrow stuff is dangerous -
                  use pushsticks and featherboards.

                  At any rate, in my books, a table saw is only as good as its fence, and
                  good fences are expensive. Which might make a decent used table saw a
                  better deal. I took a different route and build a table for both a
                  router and the old bench saw, so I felt less guilty talking myself into
                  Incra fence...

                  I have to admit that building my own table saw was almost as enjoyable
                  as building a boat

                  alex

                  original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3333

                • david
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
                    Chuck,
                    I used one and I still had ten fingers, last time I counted. My father has 9 2/3
                    fingers, but he lost the end of the one to a bone infection in childhood, not his
                    saw. As Dave Ryan pointed out, plenty of people cut off fingers with expensive
                    saws (and planes, jointers, routers, drills, you name it) as well. Frankly, I'm
                    afraid of all my power tools no matter what they cost. It's a healthy attitude to
                    maintain as long as it inspires caution instead of hysteria. I'll send you the
                    plans as soon as I get my daughter (the computer czarina) to help me with the
                    multileveled graphics program that has to be negotiated to get the picture from
                    the scanner to Netscape. Btw, how many people have injured themselves while
                    trying to beat their computers into submission?

                    CPCorreia@... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 3/1/00 9:50:37 AM Pacific Standard Time, galvind@...
                    > writes:
                    >
                    > << I can scan the Fred Bingham design and send it off. The book
                    > was published in 1983 and no longer in print, I think, so we wouldn't
                    > be violating copyright law,
                    > david >>
                    >
                    > David,
                    >
                    > I would love a copy of this for interest sake, but I've been put off a bit
                    > from my original post by all the talk of losing fingers and being chased by a
                    > runaway saw!
                    >
                    > Chuck C., FS, on the banks of the Suisun Slough, contemplating a long life
                    > with 10 fingers.....
                  • david
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
                      David Ryan,
                      Whatevah.... Maybe you should try to lighten up a little. The caution
                      sign was turned on a long time ago, and nobody's arguing with you,
                      david

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 4, 2000
                        Chuck,
                        Here are the plans, better late than never I suppose,
                        david

                        CPCorreia@... wrote:

                        David,

                        I would love a copy of this for interest sake, but I've been put off a bit
                        from my original post by all the talk of losing fingers and being chased by a
                        runaway saw!

                        Chuck C., FS, on the banks of the Suisun Slough, contemplating a long life
                        with 10 fingers.

                        GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds!  Get rates
                        as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
                        Apply NOW!
                        http://click.egroups.com/1/975/5/_/3457/_/951941627/

                        -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
                        -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=bolger&m=1