[bolger] Re: Home made table saws

  • Derek Waters
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
      For an alternative (supposedly safe and accurate) table saw route, you might check out 'The Jimmy Jig' - basically a sliding table and fence intended to enhance the capabilities of those low cost bench top saws. With some ingenuity applied, it might make a good table saw out of a good hand held. Haven't used it, YMMV etc.

      Derek
    • David Beede
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
        I've used my share of home rigged saws..... however.
        Last year I picked up a PRO- TECH brand 10" bench saw at Lowe's (a Home
        Depot type chain) for $139 complete with metal stand that makes it into
        a table saw. Though the saw body is made of reinforced plastic, the
        table is cast and ground. The fence, T square, blade depth and tilt
        controls all work fine, and plenty accurately for my purposes. I use our
        ping pong table as my "out feed" support and ripping is a pleasure. I
        know it's not free like a rigged circular saw, but it's paid for itself
        already in lower frustration.
        David Beede

        david wrote:

        > Chuck,
        Sorry about the delayed response to your query, but I've been busy
        the last few days earning the money I hope to waste on more boats....
        WARNING: what follows is advice that, if followed, could cause loss
        of limb or life to the user or an innocent bystander. The author assumes
        no responsibility for any such misadventure....
        With a little thought any hand circular saw can be fitted under a
        table. I used to see tables designed for just that purpose in Sears and
        elsewhere, but one can also be built without too much trouble. They are
        probably no longer available commercially because of the safety concerns
        (and attendant litigation) that goes with marketing such a device. I
        made one from an old wooden card table and a sheet of 3/8" Masonite for
        a top. To fasten the saw to the bottom of the Masonite I used flathead
        machine screws set through countersunk holes in the Masonite and into
        holes drilled into the saw's base plate. I secured it with lock washers
        and wing nuts (the wing nuts are so you can quickly free the saw for use
        as a hand held when the need arises). If you don't want to drill holes
        in your brand new saw, the screws can go into lengths of angle iron that
        cross the base plate on either side of the blade and also hold the saw
        firmly to the table. The main trick (and annoyance) of such a rig is
        fussing with the fence to ensure that it's parallel to the blade before
        a rip cut. You can fasten the fence to the table with C-clamps. Of
        course, you cannot use a dado set with this gear, and the depth of the
        cut is a little limited, but for routine ripping to about 1 3/4" it
        beats trying to do it with the saw in hand-held mode. As for running the
        saw, I would just jam a wedge into the trigger hole and start and stop
        it with a switched outlet, but you can get fancy and install a proper
        cut-off switch on the table and plug the saw into that. Just remember,
        whatever you do, that these things eat fingers and other appendages at
        the slightest provocation, so be very careful. I always worried that the
        wing nuts would work loose from the vibration and the saw would fall on
        the ground and start chasing me (seriously). After building some storm
        windows and my first boat with my home made table saw, I grew
        sufficiently fearful of the thing to overcome my inborn cheapness and
        buy a real table saw...
        david

        >From: "Chuck" <cpcorreia@...>
        >To: bolger@...
        >Subject: [bolger] Help! I need to buy a saw for boat building!
        >Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 14:26:06 -0800
        >
        >OK Guys,
        >
        >I need an electric saw. What should I get....

        >....Are there saws that can be attached upside down to a table and
        become a
        >sort of table saw, so you could have both?...

        > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger

        SOME CLICKS THAT COUNT!!
        Feed someone.
        http://www.thehungersite.com/
        Save a little rain forest.
        http://rainforest.care2.com/front.html/player12296

        Simplicity Boats (& mirror sites)
        http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/index.html
        http://members.xoom.com/simpleboats/index.html
        Here's my latest boat:
        http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/featherwind.html
        http://members.xoom.com/simpleboats/featherwind.html
        Quasi esoteric musical instruments
        http://unicornstrings.com
      • James Fuller
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
          Hi,
          I would like a copy also please.

          jamar@...

          TIA

          James

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
            writes:

            << I can scan the Fred Bingham design and send it off. The book
            was published in 1983 and no longer in print, I think, so we wouldn't
            be violating copyright law,
            david >>

            David,

            I would love a copy of this for interest sake, but I've been put off a bit
            from my original post by all the talk of losing fingers and being chased by a
            runaway saw!

            Chuck C., FS, on the banks of the Suisun Slough, contemplating a long life
            with 10 fingers.
          • William D> Jochems
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
              Bolgeristas,
              The worst features of bench saws are the small tops and flimsy fences. A
              new top, 2 or 3 times larger than original, can be made of half inch ply and
              bolted down to the original top. Cut an opening for the blade and draw a
              series of lines all the way across the new top parallel to the blade. Then
              use a very straight board about 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 as a fence, which you align
              with the pencil lines and secure with a "C" clamp at either end. The
              improvement is well worth the small loss of depth of cut. But, it's also
              more dangerous since you no longer have a guard. Incidentally, I'm told that
              the most frequent injury is from pulling small boards through. The blade can
              drive the board backwards, dragging the pulling hand into the blade.
              Bill Jochems----Original Message-----
              From: Peter Vanderwaart <pvanderw@...>
              To: bolger@... <bolger@...>
              Date: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 10:23 AM

              >To: Cheap saw enthusiasts
              >
              >Once upon a time, about 1974, a friend who was enthused about
              >woodworking got me a little enthused about boatbuilding. This was when
              >I started the my Elegant Punt.
              >
              >I acted on his idea for a table saw which was to buy a very
              >inexpensive, small table saw, the top surface of which is about a foot
              >square. It is powered by a separately purchased electric motor via a
              >belt. I can't remeber if the cost was $30 total, or $30 for the saw and
              >$30 for the motor. These things were probably advertised in the back of
              >Popular Science.
              >
              >Following my friend's suggestions, this small saw was set flush in the
              >surface of a rough, homemade wooden table (2'x4'). I dadoed a groove
              >for a guide for the stock.
              >
              >This contrivence has not been used in years, but I still have it, piled
              >two feet high with junk, mostly useless pieces of scrap wood. I will
              >certainly never use it. If I ever need a table saw I will buy a
              >sensible used saw from the classified ads or eBay. Or Home Depot.
              >
              >If anyone wants it, e-mail me. You can find my unabridged e-mail
              >address at
              >http://members.xoom.com/vandep I'm in Connecticut.
              >
              >Peter in Stamford, CT who is really more interested in design than
              >building, more mathematician than wood butcher, more computer
              >programmer than wood finisher.

              >GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 0.0%
              >Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!
              >
              >eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/

            • Chris Crandall
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
                On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, david wrote:

                > sure that the pedigree goes back further than that. If anyone wants a
                > copy, I can scan the Fred Bingham design and send it off. The book was
                > published in 1983 and no longer in print, I think, so we wouldn't be
                > violating copyright law, david

                Just one a fine point, the copyright still obtains. HOwever, this might
                very well be considered fair use.

                Get a copy from the library, it's great!

                Chris Crandall crandall@... (785) 864-4131
                Department of Psychology University of Kansas Lawrence, KS 66045
                I have data convincingly disconfirming the Duhem-Quine hypothesis.
              • David Ryan
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
                  >Chuck,
                  >I used one and I still had ten fingers, last time I counted. My
                  >father has 9 2/3
                  >fingers, but he lost the end of the one to a bone infection in
                  >childhood, not his
                  >saw. As Dave Ryan pointed out, plenty of people cut off fingers with expensive
                  saws (and planes, jointers, routers, drills, you name it) as well. Frankly,

                  My point was not that factory tools are just as dangerous as
                  half-baked home-made jobbies.

                  Rather, it was that the most experience users given all the
                  advantages in safety and ergonomic design still manage to have their
                  situation go from "just fine" to "completely unacceptable" in the
                  blink of an eye.

                  With regard to hokey home-made saw rigs, to quote from our name sake
                  (when commenting on some only slighly more ill-advised modifications
                  to, and uses of the LS Margaret Ellen,) "The worst case scenarios
                  range from embarrassing to fatal."

                  I'm quite willing to risk death (if the risk is very slight,) for a
                  little glory. But I'm quite sure I'm not willing to risk the
                  embarrassment of cutting off my own finger because I couldn't find
                  $100 for an incredibly useful tool.

                  Yes, you could do the same stupid thing with a Rockwell, but at least
                  you wouldn't have spend the rest your life explaining why you were
                  using a Rockwell.

                  David Ryan
                  Minister of Information and Culture
                  Crumbling Empire Productions
                  (212) 247-0296
                • alex
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
                    The book is published by International Marine, Camden, Maine

                    I can copy a couple of pages for you if your library does not
                    have it. Email me at alexm@...
                    alex

                    cpcorrei-@... wrote:
                    original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3312
                    > In a message dated 2/29/00 9:30:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                    alexm@...
                    > writes:
                    >
                    > << It's inaccurate and rather dangerous contraption, but, if you
                    > are into it, check "Boat Joinery and Cabinetmaking Simplified"
                    > by Fred Bingham. He calls it a $5 saw.
                    > >>

                    > Where would you find this?

                  • alex
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
                      Or you can replace the original bench saw top with a homemade. All it
                      takes is to drill holes for 8 bolts (Delta and B&D models) and chisel a
                      bit underneath the motor mounts. This way you could still use a stock
                      blade guard, through mine was unworthy. I would be more concern with
                      jury-rigged fences like the one Bill described below, since even a
                      small slant of a fence towards the back of the blade can result in
                      injury. And I agree with Bill that reaping narrow stuff is dangerous -
                      use pushsticks and featherboards.

                      At any rate, in my books, a table saw is only as good as its fence, and
                      good fences are expensive. Which might make a decent used table saw a
                      better deal. I took a different route and build a table for both a
                      router and the old bench saw, so I felt less guilty talking myself into
                      Incra fence...

                      I have to admit that building my own table saw was almost as enjoyable
                      as building a boat

                      alex

                      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3333

                    • david
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
                        Chuck,
                        I used one and I still had ten fingers, last time I counted. My father has 9 2/3
                        fingers, but he lost the end of the one to a bone infection in childhood, not his
                        saw. As Dave Ryan pointed out, plenty of people cut off fingers with expensive
                        saws (and planes, jointers, routers, drills, you name it) as well. Frankly, I'm
                        afraid of all my power tools no matter what they cost. It's a healthy attitude to
                        maintain as long as it inspires caution instead of hysteria. I'll send you the
                        plans as soon as I get my daughter (the computer czarina) to help me with the
                        multileveled graphics program that has to be negotiated to get the picture from
                        the scanner to Netscape. Btw, how many people have injured themselves while
                        trying to beat their computers into submission?

                        CPCorreia@... wrote:

                        > In a message dated 3/1/00 9:50:37 AM Pacific Standard Time, galvind@...
                        > writes:
                        >
                        > << I can scan the Fred Bingham design and send it off. The book
                        > was published in 1983 and no longer in print, I think, so we wouldn't
                        > be violating copyright law,
                        > david >>
                        >
                        > David,
                        >
                        > I would love a copy of this for interest sake, but I've been put off a bit
                        > from my original post by all the talk of losing fingers and being chased by a
                        > runaway saw!
                        >
                        > Chuck C., FS, on the banks of the Suisun Slough, contemplating a long life
                        > with 10 fingers.....
                      • david
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
                          David Ryan,
                          Whatevah.... Maybe you should try to lighten up a little. The caution
                          sign was turned on a long time ago, and nobody's arguing with you,
                          david

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 4, 2000
                            Chuck,
                            Here are the plans, better late than never I suppose,
                            david

                            CPCorreia@... wrote:

                            David,

                            I would love a copy of this for interest sake, but I've been put off a bit
                            from my original post by all the talk of losing fingers and being chased by a
                            runaway saw!

                            Chuck C., FS, on the banks of the Suisun Slough, contemplating a long life
                            with 10 fingers.

                            GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds!  Get rates
                            as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
                            Apply NOW!
                            http://click.egroups.com/1/975/5/_/3457/_/951941627/

                            -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
                            -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=bolger&m=1