Boat Plans

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 41 , Dec 19, 2003
      Here is a website that is a good example of a friendly set-up.

      One can order study plans directly from the site - in compressed Pdf
      format for most of the designs.

      It is also an interesting place to compare design philosphy and
      prices too. Carl is selling an interesting combination on special.
      Plans for his REDWING 18, plus a building manual and a 1/4 size
      precut scale model using the same building techniques, all for $160.

      I noticed the TRAILER SAILER 32 which looks a lot like a MARTHA JANE
      but has bilge keels in addition to leeboards and a second cabin in
      the stern. Also has davits to carry the dingy.

      The plans are $850 and the "hull kit" something like $14,000 which
      only includes all the plywood parts pre-cut to size with the stitch
      holes drilled. To complete the boat will cost about the same amount
      again - plus the sails, and motor.

      Many of his small sail boats have centerboards dividing the cabin in
      half and the masts are not free standing. They seem a lot heavier
      than comparable Bolger boats.

      Like I say, some interesting comparisons. A nice layout for a site
      except there is no "home" button that I could find.

      http://www.cmdboats.com/index.htm

      Cheers, Nels
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 5, 2006
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "lakepepinmollyblue" <barryhill@...>
        wrote:

        > From a fellow unrepentant,if somewhat soured by age,romantic.
        >
        > Persian rug-makers make an intentional error because "only Allah is
        > perfect".
        >
        > Perhaps more to the point, as I was told one fussy day in the school
        > machine shop, "the Russians say,'Perfection is the enemy of Gudonov".
        >
        > From "gettin' a little green around the edges" Lake Pepin.
        >
        > Bob

        Hi Bob,

        Whaddya mean,"somewhat soured by age"?! Don't you know we are all
        like huge premium bottles of wine getting better with age? All we need
        is for someone to come in to check on us once in a while and to even
        give us a gentle turning and Presto(!) we get better. God knows there
        is enough grief and turmoil in the world thus it suits me to a"T" to
        also be kept in the dark a while also :-)
        Besides that, this boatbuilding hobby is grand medicine for
        nurturing our inner child,who may become starved while we struggle with
        adult life realities.....even our hero Bolger calls our boats big
        toys....I say "Let's play!!"

        As regards this business of perfection being the exclussive domain
        of various deities, I say phoowee! It is all in the eye of the
        beholder....just ask my crewette :-D

        Keep a good thought Bob!

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan,perfectly happy,with his perfect crewette and enoying
        this imperfect world/life...perfectly! :-D