[bolger] British Seagull motor for Micro - carb rejetting

  • John
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2000
      > full throttle and it coughs at half throttle.
      >We then spluttered, coughed and choked through the next 2 miles.

      Tim,

      You may already have made this modification.....it made a HUGE
      difference in how our trusty ole Seagull runs

      On our 20 year old model, the original gas/oil mixture was something
      like 10:1 (yes, ten-to-one) and the little beastie smoked like a
      freight train (coal fired vintage). While it started...OK, sometimes
      it took 3-4 pulls. Part throttle operation tended to "load up" the
      spark plug with resultant rough running.

      The Seagull folks must have figured this out because they offer a
      retrofit taper needle/spring kit($10 a few years ago) for the carb
      which changes the gas/oil mixture to 25:1. This is not the 50:1 of
      modern two-strokers, but it's an enormous improvement for the Seagull.
      Our's now starts 90% of the time on one pull and runs at part throttle
      without fouling.

      Regards,

      John