[bolger] Re: New fellow

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
      Tom,

      Did I misunderstand? Do you already have a Loose Moose II under
      construction? Are you really out in the Australian desert, building
      an ark, and waiting for the flood?!?

      If so, please post pictures!

      YIBB,

      David
      --

      C.E.P.
      415 W.46th Street
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
        Tom,

        You may or not know of the
        Bolger 'upgrade' to the AS39
        design from about one year back.

        As I recall,

        1) They revised the ballast,
        to be external steel plate.

        2) They revised the shape of
        the bow, including 'rounding'
        the lines, and widening the
        size of the tabernacle well
        with greatly improved the
        anchor handling through a clever
        'A-frame' winch thingy.

        3) They added a contoured
        bulb to the bottom at the bow
        to improve 'armor' against
        collisions while at the same
        time improving the splashing
        noise problem while anchored.

        4) Other changes I don't remember.

        You could learn more by asking them.
      • Nels
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:
          > > At least one other LMII was built, with some deviation from the
          > > specs. How happy the owner was with the outcome I can't say.
          >
          > It seems to me that there was a fellow who had a LMII built by a
          > professional. Once it was built, he hated it, finding the interior
          > too much of a dark tunnel.
          >
          > A story like this is food for thought. I would always hesitate to
          > take it literally, at least without some confirmation, because
          > someone who is greatly dissatisfied is likely to overstate his
          case,
          > and without investigation it's impossible to know if his
          expectations
          > were reasonable in the first place. In fact, it's hard to know if
          our
          > own expectations are reasonable.
          >
          > Peter

          I seem to recall something along that line too. Seems to me that
          somebody had bought one and were re-selling it. One of the reasons
          given was that every time he wanted to enjoy a coffee on deck - or
          get a re-fill he had to climb down and back up the ladder. Things
          like that. He was however quick to point out it's many advantages as
          well. Just wasn't his cup of tea (or coffee) as he hadn't considered
          these things before he bought it.

          What you say about expectations is a very good point, as that
          information gave me pause for thought about living aboard full time!

          Cheers, Nels
        • Nels
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, tommol@n... wrote:
            ----
            bAS39 (or is it AS38?). First time I have ever attempted a group
            > discussion. What is the drill? I want to talk to someone who is bi
            want to talk with a builder who may have solved some of
            .

            > Is there anyone who wants to talk about this sort of thing?
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Tom Moloney
            > tommol@n...

            Here are a couple of websites with information:

            http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/as39ba.htm#start

            http://www.paradiseconnections.com/about-info.html

            You might be able to email Bob Wise if he is still in St. Thomas

            Good luck, Nels
          • Nels
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
              > Here are a couple of websites with information:
              >
              > http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/as39ba.htm#start
              >
              > http://www.paradiseconnections.com/about-info.html
              >
              > You might be able to email Bob Wise if he is still in St. Thomas
              >
              > Here is the link to the one being built in Quebec -

              mais oui, en Francais!

              http://cf.geocities.com/lecabotin/