Re: New fellow

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
      > - will there be distortion of the sides of the boat with
      > what appears to be so little support?

      Hi,

      You might want to search the archives of this group to find the
      thread about the AS-29 Alisa, keeping in mind that it is one
      particular boat, and that other builders have not had the same
      problems.

      There were maintenance problems on Alisa that seem to have originated
      with poor constuction at the chines and the centerboard cases,
      complicated by a lack of effective epoxy encapsulation. For all I
      know, the material was of a rot-prone type. If I remember the report
      correctly, a distortion formed in the bottom during constuction so
      that the bottom section mid-ships was concave (i.e. higher in the
      middle) rather than perfectly flat as it should be. To me, this
      suggests too much stress in the ply bottom planking.

      As for the galvanized bolts, Bolger is not casual about his
      recommendations for materials, and in most cases I would trust his
      specs. It is possible, however, that the cost/longevity tradeoff that
      he has in mind for a particular design (appropriate to the original
      client) is not the one that you would prefer. If you have any doubts,
      fax him; he would be happy to respond to that sort of inquiry.

      Peter
    • David Ryan
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
        Tom,

        Did I misunderstand? Do you already have a Loose Moose II under
        construction? Are you really out in the Australian desert, building
        an ark, and waiting for the flood?!?

        If so, please post pictures!

        YIBB,

        David
        --

        C.E.P.
        415 W.46th Street
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
          Tom,

          You may or not know of the
          Bolger 'upgrade' to the AS39
          design from about one year back.

          As I recall,

          1) They revised the ballast,
          to be external steel plate.

          2) They revised the shape of
          the bow, including 'rounding'
          the lines, and widening the
          size of the tabernacle well
          with greatly improved the
          anchor handling through a clever
          'A-frame' winch thingy.

          3) They added a contoured
          bulb to the bottom at the bow
          to improve 'armor' against
          collisions while at the same
          time improving the splashing
          noise problem while anchored.

          4) Other changes I don't remember.

          You could learn more by asking them.
        • Nels
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:
            > > At least one other LMII was built, with some deviation from the
            > > specs. How happy the owner was with the outcome I can't say.
            >
            > It seems to me that there was a fellow who had a LMII built by a
            > professional. Once it was built, he hated it, finding the interior
            > too much of a dark tunnel.
            >
            > A story like this is food for thought. I would always hesitate to
            > take it literally, at least without some confirmation, because
            > someone who is greatly dissatisfied is likely to overstate his
            case,
            > and without investigation it's impossible to know if his
            expectations
            > were reasonable in the first place. In fact, it's hard to know if
            our
            > own expectations are reasonable.
            >
            > Peter

            I seem to recall something along that line too. Seems to me that
            somebody had bought one and were re-selling it. One of the reasons
            given was that every time he wanted to enjoy a coffee on deck - or
            get a re-fill he had to climb down and back up the ladder. Things
            like that. He was however quick to point out it's many advantages as
            well. Just wasn't his cup of tea (or coffee) as he hadn't considered
            these things before he bought it.

            What you say about expectations is a very good point, as that
            information gave me pause for thought about living aboard full time!

            Cheers, Nels
          • Nels
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, tommol@n... wrote:
              ----
              bAS39 (or is it AS38?). First time I have ever attempted a group
              > discussion. What is the drill? I want to talk to someone who is bi
              want to talk with a builder who may have solved some of
              .

              > Is there anyone who wants to talk about this sort of thing?
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Tom Moloney
              > tommol@n...

              Here are a couple of websites with information:

              http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/as39ba.htm#start

              http://www.paradiseconnections.com/about-info.html

              You might be able to email Bob Wise if he is still in St. Thomas

              Good luck, Nels
            • Nels
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
                > Here are a couple of websites with information:
                >
                > http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/as39ba.htm#start
                >
                > http://www.paradiseconnections.com/about-info.html
                >
                > You might be able to email Bob Wise if he is still in St. Thomas
                >
                > Here is the link to the one being built in Quebec -

                mais oui, en Francais!

                http://cf.geocities.com/lecabotin/