Re: New fellow

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
      --- Tom Moloney wrote:
      > BOLGER AS39 ...got the plans and have been
      > putting together little bits of it ever since.

      Wow. I am impressed that you still have a
      positive attitude, 7 plus years into building
      such a monumental boat.

      Questions
      > - 12mm ply or 15mm?
      > - will there be distortion of the sides
      > - are galvanised bolts safe
      > - hundreds of other predictable questions

      Those are all trivial questions <smile>!

      Don't be distracted, work on your Zen,
      push ahead without hesitation!
    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
        > - will there be distortion of the sides of the boat with
        > what appears to be so little support?

        Hi,

        You might want to search the archives of this group to find the
        thread about the AS-29 Alisa, keeping in mind that it is one
        particular boat, and that other builders have not had the same
        problems.

        There were maintenance problems on Alisa that seem to have originated
        with poor constuction at the chines and the centerboard cases,
        complicated by a lack of effective epoxy encapsulation. For all I
        know, the material was of a rot-prone type. If I remember the report
        correctly, a distortion formed in the bottom during constuction so
        that the bottom section mid-ships was concave (i.e. higher in the
        middle) rather than perfectly flat as it should be. To me, this
        suggests too much stress in the ply bottom planking.

        As for the galvanized bolts, Bolger is not casual about his
        recommendations for materials, and in most cases I would trust his
        specs. It is possible, however, that the cost/longevity tradeoff that
        he has in mind for a particular design (appropriate to the original
        client) is not the one that you would prefer. If you have any doubts,
        fax him; he would be happy to respond to that sort of inquiry.

        Peter
      • David Ryan
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
          Tom,

          Did I misunderstand? Do you already have a Loose Moose II under
          construction? Are you really out in the Australian desert, building
          an ark, and waiting for the flood?!?

          If so, please post pictures!

          YIBB,

          David
          --

          C.E.P.
          415 W.46th Street
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
            Tom,

            You may or not know of the
            Bolger 'upgrade' to the AS39
            design from about one year back.

            As I recall,

            1) They revised the ballast,
            to be external steel plate.

            2) They revised the shape of
            the bow, including 'rounding'
            the lines, and widening the
            size of the tabernacle well
            with greatly improved the
            anchor handling through a clever
            'A-frame' winch thingy.

            3) They added a contoured
            bulb to the bottom at the bow
            to improve 'armor' against
            collisions while at the same
            time improving the splashing
            noise problem while anchored.

            4) Other changes I don't remember.

            You could learn more by asking them.
          • Nels
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:
              > > At least one other LMII was built, with some deviation from the
              > > specs. How happy the owner was with the outcome I can't say.
              >
              > It seems to me that there was a fellow who had a LMII built by a
              > professional. Once it was built, he hated it, finding the interior
              > too much of a dark tunnel.
              >
              > A story like this is food for thought. I would always hesitate to
              > take it literally, at least without some confirmation, because
              > someone who is greatly dissatisfied is likely to overstate his
              case,
              > and without investigation it's impossible to know if his
              expectations
              > were reasonable in the first place. In fact, it's hard to know if
              our
              > own expectations are reasonable.
              >
              > Peter

              I seem to recall something along that line too. Seems to me that
              somebody had bought one and were re-selling it. One of the reasons
              given was that every time he wanted to enjoy a coffee on deck - or
              get a re-fill he had to climb down and back up the ladder. Things
              like that. He was however quick to point out it's many advantages as
              well. Just wasn't his cup of tea (or coffee) as he hadn't considered
              these things before he bought it.

              What you say about expectations is a very good point, as that
              information gave me pause for thought about living aboard full time!

              Cheers, Nels
            • Nels
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, tommol@n... wrote:
                ----
                bAS39 (or is it AS38?). First time I have ever attempted a group
                > discussion. What is the drill? I want to talk to someone who is bi
                want to talk with a builder who may have solved some of
                .

                > Is there anyone who wants to talk about this sort of thing?
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Tom Moloney
                > tommol@n...

                Here are a couple of websites with information:

                http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/as39ba.htm#start

                http://www.paradiseconnections.com/about-info.html

                You might be able to email Bob Wise if he is still in St. Thomas

                Good luck, Nels
              • Nels
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
                  > Here are a couple of websites with information:
                  >
                  > http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/as39ba.htm#start
                  >
                  > http://www.paradiseconnections.com/about-info.html
                  >
                  > You might be able to email Bob Wise if he is still in St. Thomas
                  >
                  > Here is the link to the one being built in Quebec -

                  mais oui, en Francais!

                  http://cf.geocities.com/lecabotin/