Re: [bolger] New fellow

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
      Tom,

      Welcome to the list!

      As far as I know, there has only been one Loose Moose II (aka AS38)
      built following the original plan. This was build by Bob and Sheila
      Wise, who commissioned the design. I've talked with Bob quite a bit
      about his experience in commissioning, building and cruising the
      LMII. He'd be the first to tell you it's not a perfect boat, but
      overall he seems very happy with it. Bob and Sheila cruise the Loose
      Moose II throughout the French Canal System, the Med, the coast of
      West Africa, and ultimately cross the Atlantic in it. They found it
      to be a seaworthy, fast, capacious boat. I'm sure if you write him a
      polite e-mail he'd have a few thoughts for you.

      At least one other LMII was built, with some deviation from the
      specs. How happy the owner was with the outcome I can't say.

      There is currently under construction in Quebec a LMII with PCB
      modifications. Some of these are revisions based on the first boat
      performance, some are modifications to make the Quebec LMII more
      suitable for cold weather, and some are evolutions in Bolger's
      thinking. As far as I know this boat has yet to be launched.

      Yours In Boat Building,

      David

      ----
      BOLGER AS39 (or is it AS38?). First time I have ever attempted a group
      discussion. What is the drill? I want to talk to someone who is building the
      38 (or 39) and preferably someone in Australia. I am TOM MOLONEY and I live
      in Bendigo which is 100 miles from the sea in the south of Australia. I saw
      the 38 in Boats with an Open Mind in 1996, got the plans and have been
      putting together little bits of it ever since. Now I want to get stuck into
      major building but i want to talk with a builder who may have solved some of
      my problems already.
      For example,

      - 12mm ply or 15mm?
      - will there be distortion of the sides of the boat with what appears to be
      so little support?
      - are galvanised bolts safe in the lower part of the bottom? are they
      sufficiently protected by the suggested several layers of fibreglass? what
      is the experience of owners who have had the boat in the water for some
      years?
      - hundreds of other predictable questions

      That sort of question.

      Is there anyone who wants to talk about this sort of thing?

      Regards,

      Tom Moloney
      tommol@...

      C.E.P.
      415 W.46th Street
      New York, New York 10036
      http://www.crumblingempire.com
      Mobile (646) 325-8325
      Office (212) 247-0296
    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
        > At least one other LMII was built, with some deviation from the
        > specs. How happy the owner was with the outcome I can't say.

        It seems to me that there was a fellow who had a LMII built by a
        professional. Once it was built, he hated it, finding the interior
        too much of a dark tunnel.

        A story like this is food for thought. I would always hesitate to
        take it literally, at least without some confirmation, because
        someone who is greatly dissatisfied is likely to overstate his case,
        and without investigation it's impossible to know if his expectations
        were reasonable in the first place. In fact, it's hard to know if our
        own expectations are reasonable.

        Peter
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
          --- Tom Moloney wrote:
          > BOLGER AS39 ...got the plans and have been
          > putting together little bits of it ever since.

          Wow. I am impressed that you still have a
          positive attitude, 7 plus years into building
          such a monumental boat.

          Questions
          > - 12mm ply or 15mm?
          > - will there be distortion of the sides
          > - are galvanised bolts safe
          > - hundreds of other predictable questions

          Those are all trivial questions <smile>!

          Don't be distracted, work on your Zen,
          push ahead without hesitation!
        • pvanderwaart
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
            > - will there be distortion of the sides of the boat with
            > what appears to be so little support?

            Hi,

            You might want to search the archives of this group to find the
            thread about the AS-29 Alisa, keeping in mind that it is one
            particular boat, and that other builders have not had the same
            problems.

            There were maintenance problems on Alisa that seem to have originated
            with poor constuction at the chines and the centerboard cases,
            complicated by a lack of effective epoxy encapsulation. For all I
            know, the material was of a rot-prone type. If I remember the report
            correctly, a distortion formed in the bottom during constuction so
            that the bottom section mid-ships was concave (i.e. higher in the
            middle) rather than perfectly flat as it should be. To me, this
            suggests too much stress in the ply bottom planking.

            As for the galvanized bolts, Bolger is not casual about his
            recommendations for materials, and in most cases I would trust his
            specs. It is possible, however, that the cost/longevity tradeoff that
            he has in mind for a particular design (appropriate to the original
            client) is not the one that you would prefer. If you have any doubts,
            fax him; he would be happy to respond to that sort of inquiry.

            Peter
          • David Ryan
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
              Tom,

              Did I misunderstand? Do you already have a Loose Moose II under
              construction? Are you really out in the Australian desert, building
              an ark, and waiting for the flood?!?

              If so, please post pictures!

              YIBB,

              David

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
                Tom,

                You may or not know of the
                Bolger 'upgrade' to the AS39
                design from about one year back.

                As I recall,

                1) They revised the ballast,
                to be external steel plate.

                2) They revised the shape of
                the bow, including 'rounding'
                the lines, and widening the
                size of the tabernacle well
                with greatly improved the
                anchor handling through a clever
                'A-frame' winch thingy.

                3) They added a contoured
                bulb to the bottom at the bow
                to improve 'armor' against
                collisions while at the same
                time improving the splashing
                noise problem while anchored.

                4) Other changes I don't remember.

                You could learn more by asking them.
              • Nels
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:
                  > > At least one other LMII was built, with some deviation from the
                  > > specs. How happy the owner was with the outcome I can't say.
                  >
                  > It seems to me that there was a fellow who had a LMII built by a
                  > professional. Once it was built, he hated it, finding the interior
                  > too much of a dark tunnel.
                  >
                  > A story like this is food for thought. I would always hesitate to
                  > take it literally, at least without some confirmation, because
                  > someone who is greatly dissatisfied is likely to overstate his
                  case,
                  > and without investigation it's impossible to know if his
                  expectations
                  > were reasonable in the first place. In fact, it's hard to know if
                  our
                  > own expectations are reasonable.
                  >
                  > Peter

                  I seem to recall something along that line too. Seems to me that
                  somebody had bought one and were re-selling it. One of the reasons
                  given was that every time he wanted to enjoy a coffee on deck - or
                  get a re-fill he had to climb down and back up the ladder. Things
                  like that. He was however quick to point out it's many advantages as
                  well. Just wasn't his cup of tea (or coffee) as he hadn't considered
                  these things before he bought it.

                  What you say about expectations is a very good point, as that
                  information gave me pause for thought about living aboard full time!

                  Cheers, Nels
                • Nels
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, tommol@n... wrote:
                    ----
                    bAS39 (or is it AS38?). First time I have ever attempted a group
                    .

                    > Is there anyone who wants to talk about this sort of thing?
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Tom Moloney
                    > tommol@n...

                    Here are a couple of websites with information:

                    http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/as39ba.htm#start

                    http://www.paradiseconnections.com/about-info.html

                    You might be able to email Bob Wise if he is still in St. Thomas

                    Good luck, Nels
                  • Nels
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
                      > Here are a couple of websites with information:
                      >
                      > http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/as39ba.htm#start
                      >
                      > http://www.paradiseconnections.com/about-info.html
                      >
                      > You might be able to email Bob Wise if he is still in St. Thomas
                      >
                      > Here is the link to the one being built in Quebec -

                      mais oui, en Francais!

                      http://cf.geocities.com/lecabotin/