Re: Otter I and Otter II

  • Gavin Atkin
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:

      > Five hundred lbs sounds pretty light to me.

      Quite so. My thinking was that Bolger doesn't generally over-engineer his
      designs and the boat is meant to be unballasted. In practice, I suspect tha=
      t the
      boat would usually turn out a little heavier than the designer intended, gi=
      ven
      that most of us tend to overbuild at least a little.

      Now, I'm racking my brains. I don't have his write up to hand, but I think =
      remember that Bolger wrote that the Otter II was really a 14ft punt with a =

      draining well aft for the outboard and a further draining well forward insi=
      de a
      cutwater? If that's so, 1500lbs in hull weight seems a lot of displacement =
      for a
      14ft boat, particularly when you have to add crew and gear. It also feels a=
      little
      too expensive to be a wise investment: what do boats cost to make now, is i=
      around £1.50-3/lb painted?

      Gav, musing in a grey marble office by the River Thames in the heart of
      London, and watching yet another unrelieved grey east of England sky slithe=
      by into the North Sea
    • Gavin Atkin
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
        Here's a bit more of what I laughingly call 'my thinking'.

        I don't remember the details, of the Otter II, but let's assume that it really is a
        punt of 14ft in length and, say, 5ft in beam, and, say, 9in deep at its design
        displacement. The displacement's going to be length times beam times depth
        times the prismatic coefficient (I'll guess that bit) times the weight of a cubic
        foot of water. So that's 14 by 5 by 0.75 by 0.6 by 65 - I don't know where this is
        going yet as I calculate - which makes 2047.5lbs by my calculator. This is of
        course the roughest of rough calculations, so maybe one should not take too
        much notice of it, but I suppose it does make a hull weight of 1500lbs just
        about practical.

        Without ballast, though, it could be a brute to try to right after a capsize.

        Gav, still musing in the greyness of London
      • Chris Stewart
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 7, 2003
          Gav,

          Happen to have a library copy of Different Boats at hand
          (unfortunately, it has to go back Monday).

          Otter II is 19'6" x 5'10".

          Quoting from his text: "The cuddy is watertight; it can't be flooded
          in any kind of sudden knockdown, and for ordinary coastwise sailing
          suitable to her size, it makes her self-righting, without any ballast
          apart from her bottom structure." (Bottom is two layers of 3/8 ply.)

          "The stem and stern bays are free-flooding. They have holes in the
          bottom to let the water out. The ends aren't properly part of the
          hull at all; they are more in the nature of a bowsprit and motor
          bracket, also serving as fairing to improve the flow of water around
          what's really a square-ended punt 14 1/2 feet long, of which 6 1/2
          feet is reliably decked and bulkheaded."

          "Bulkheads...#4 and #8 are watertight up to vent and companionway
          openings shown, to enclose dry cuddy on which the boat relies for
          rserve stability and bouyancy in a knockdown or rainstorm;..." (The
          vent appears to be about 2'2" up and the companionway opening appears
          to be start about 2'4" up - virtually the same height as the sheer.)

          Chris Stewart
          in the whiteness of New York

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 7, 2003
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Stewart" <stewtone@m...> wrote:
            > Gav,
            >
            > Happen to have a library copy of Different Boats at hand
            > (unfortunately, it has to go back Monday).
            >
            > Otter II is 19'6" x 5'10".

            You'll have to find a photocopier before then!

            So my guesses were not so far out. I still think 1500lbs too heavy,
            500lbs rather light and that Peter VW's estimate of 700lbs is likely
            to be close.

            I should have a long talk with my friend, for I think that either of
            the Otters would be good for the area where we live, where we have a
            terrific big sheltered estuary with many mud banks etc, and where I
            think a leeboard sharpie would have a lot to recommend it.

            Gav
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 7, 2003
              --- "Chris Stewart" <stewtone@m...> wrote:
              > Otter II is 19'6" x 5'10".