[bolger] Re: Micro Trawler

  • peter lenihan
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 29, 2000
      Stan,
      I am waiting for the day when someone does a really first class,top
      shelf rip-the-eyes-right-out-of-your-sockets job of doing a Bolger
      tug,anyone of them, as long as they are in the tiny class or micro
      class and then proceeds to call it the"SIR PHILLIP C.BOLGER"....(gold
      leaf on a black hull)....has a sorta regal ring to it and reflects well
      on our hero,Mr.Bolger.
      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan,forced to button up the jacket,it was just a tease of
      spring,on the frozen shores of the St.Lawrence.......

      stan muller <smulle-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3282
      > I have always liked, "I think I can" as a name for a little tug.
      > Stan M-N-T, SG
    • Peter Vanderwaart
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 29, 2000
        > the "SIR PHILLIP C.BOLGER"....(gold
        > leaf on a black hull)....has a sorta regal ring to it and reflects
        well
        > on our hero,Mr.Bolger.

        While I certainly approve of the sentiment, I feel the knighthood is
        inappropriate for a self-described libertarian. Too much smell of the
        monarchy.

        Peter
      • Stan Muller
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 29, 2000
          Hi Peter L. and Peter V.,
          Gentlemen, I certainly agree with you both, But, I think a better way
          to go is to form the Micro Militia Navy and vote PCB in as Commodore.
          Can't you see my Micro painted camouflage with an ak-47 mounted on the
          bow, speeding down river at 4 knots?
          Stan, Mid western red neck.
          Next item;
          Hi Stephen, Re: Convertible cabin top.
          The beauty of a pop top rather than a convertible top, is that once
          designed, the center of gravity doesn't change appreciable once
          installed. I am in the process of putting a birdwatcher pilot house on
          my Micro, and can attest to the difficulty of the design. on the
          Navigator, the added cabin has sides that follow the curve of the side
          of the boat. On the Birdwatcher cabin, you have the support across the
          front and back and down the side. My pilot house will be flat sided, and
          open in the back for easy access. It all adds up to some interesting
          design problems in coming up with a free standing half of an arch that
          must not only be strong enough to support hinged top hatches, but also
          be able to withstand being torn off, in a blow, because of its natural
          wind scoop shape. No body likes a pilot house that flaps in the breeze.
          On the basis of do what I say, not as I do: I would suggest the easy
          way out is to go back to the books and find the boat that will meet your
          needs as designed, it is so much easier than trying the, do it your self
          design approach, that circumstances have put me into. On the other hand,
          if you want a convertible, build one that the removable top becomes your
          dingy when removed.
          Stan of the Micro, Navigator, Birdwatcher, Tug, Snow Goose.
          In Mid America, watching the robins, thinking; of all the things I ever
          lost, I miss my mind the most.
        • P. Vanderwaart
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 29, 2000
            > Gentlemen, I certainly agree with you both, But, I think a better way
            >to go is to form the Micro Militia Navy and vote PCB in as Commodore.

            Commodore of the First Gloucester Squadron?

            Hi Stephen, Re: Convertible cabin top.

            The Storm Petrel pictured in the vault has a removeable cabin, I think.

            PHV
          • alex
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 29, 2000
              It's awfully tempting...
              alex

              "peter lenihan" <ellengaes-@...> wrote:
              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3284
              > Stan,
              > I am waiting for the day when someone does a really first
              class,top
              > shelf rip-the-eyes-right-out-of-your-sockets job of doing a Bolger
              > tug,anyone of them, as long as they are in the tiny class or micro
              > class and then proceeds to call it the"SIR PHILLIP C.BOLGER"....(gold
              > leaf on a black hull)....has a sorta regal ring to it and reflects
              well
              > on our hero,Mr.Bolger.
              > Sincerely,
              >
              > Peter Lenihan,forced to button up the jacket,it was just a tease of
              > spring,on the frozen shores of the St.Lawrence.......
              >

              > stan muller <smulle-@...> wrote:
              > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3282
              > > I have always liked, "I think I can" as a name for a little tug.
              > > Stan M-N-T, SG

            • Phillip Lea
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2000
                For Bolger boats, I like names that are few-syllable, compound words of
                everyday things - and they need to, of course, carry some meaning for
                you or the design. So how about: Bolt Upright.

                Phil Lea

                "peter vanderwaart" <pvander-@...> wrote:
                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3274

                > > I guess now its time to start thinking about a name. How about some
                > > help guys? Give me your ideas on a name for my Micro Trawler?
              • Jim Stein
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 6, 2000
                  Hi
                  I received my Micro Trawler Plans from Common Senses Boats & Books
                  http://www.common-sense-boats.com/
                  They were post 23 June UPS and arrived 7 July not a bad service. They cost
                  $114 AUD including postage.

                  Spent last night studying the plans as I want to extend it to 16 feet to
                  accomdated my bulk 6 feet tall and 95 kilos.

                  Built a model out of cardboard to get a feel for the design, its not
                  finished yet but it looks great, the plans are a bit vague around the engine
                  well and the forward cabin needs a bit of further study.

                  Building a model gives you sense of how the construction goes together and
                  highlights problems with the plans.
                  I'll build a second more detailed model before I start construction. A web
                  page is in the works.

                  --
                  Jim Stein
                  http://www.geocities.com/cjstein_2000