Re: PCB's Reputation

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 123 , Dec 1, 2003
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@h...> wrote:
      > --- "Nels" <arvent@h...> wrote:
      > Fair enough. Though around here,
      > plenty of people just get tired
      > of their 'old boat' and want to
      > dump it. Poke around the marinas,
      > ask the harbor master which boats
      > are not paying rent on their storage.
      > A friend of mine even got one for
      > free this way.

      Yes I can see where an old boat can become a liability, sorta of like
      old cars and people;-)

      Unfortunately my contact is looking for one he can trailer which also
      narrows down the choices. Full keeled boats like the one mentioned
      can rapidly become more work and expense than they are worth, in
      these days of ever increasing moorage and marina fees. So by the
      third winter or so of paying these fees and not having used the boat
      much, I can see an owner wondering if it is worth the hassle.

      I expect even less than 25% of all wood-working plans are ever
      utilized - probably more like 5%. But they are a cheap form of
      intertainment for the creative spirit - if not the practical mind.

      "There has always been great satisfaction - a justified feeling of
      accomplishment - related to making things with one's own hands. In
      this age of specialization I believe boatbuilding can offer even more
      satisfaction, as well as relaxation and a challenge to individual
      ability and ingenuity. Few things involve the many skills required in
      building a boat, each essential for its successful completion.
      Possibly nothing else is as rewarding. Further, nicely fashioned,
      well-built boats are growing more and more expensive. To build your
      own may well be a practical solution, as well as more rewarding.
      Surely the joys of being afloat are manifold, and those experienced
      aboard a boat you have built with your own hands are
      immeasurable." . . . John Atkin
      Message 123 of 123 , Dec 9, 2003
        --- "antec007" <pateson@c...> wrote:
        > [slot top cover could be a]