Re: Insolent Long Micro Navigator:-)

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 27, 2003
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <lestat@b...> wrote:
      However, if one
      > should ever be between a rock and a hard place, like having to claw
      > off a lee shore, and things just aren't working for you, there is
      an
      > ancient technology that generally works well until things calm down
      > abit............anchors;-)
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Peter Lenihan,who has had his ass saved a few times by such things
      as
      > the lowly anchor,from along the shores of the mighty
      > St.Lawrence........

      Hi Peter,

      It seems I misunderstood the full meaning of what you suggested about
      using an anchor to assist oneself from being washed up onto a lee
      shore in a storm. I assumed you meant try to get the hook down into
      the sea bed to arrest the boats drift - not to use it as a drogue!

      The article about Petrel clarified your intentions and I quote the
      enlightening paragraph:-)

      "The anchors would be kept in the free-flooding bow. I haven't tried
      it under appropriate circumstances, but it seems to me that letting
      go one or more anchors with all the warp available, in no-bottom
      water, ought to be at least as effective as most sea anchors. I don't
      understand why drogues are designed to float, as the deeper they go
      the less they'll be in the surface drift, and the nearer vertical the
      warp tends, the more resistance it will have and the more effective
      it wlll be in steadying the bow of the boat."

      Obviously, if the anchor(s) begin to drag on the sea floor at some
      point that would also be of assistance and if it stopped the boat
      altogether, the natural sag in a long rode would cushion the action
      of the surface waves on the boat and allow it to hold position. If
      you were so unfortunate as to be in the breaking waves near shore it
      would still be safer for the boat to risk foundering than have it
      smashed onto the shore.

      Perhaps this also demonstrates another advantage of the oft maligned
      self-draining bow well (Of course the forward air vent would have
      been closed long before this.)

      I suppose another tactic might be to attach a sea anchor to one of
      the anchor line chains as well, which would get it down in the
      quieter water and offer even more resistance to drift.

      Canoeists have been known to use this tactic. Tie a bucket to the
      anchor and cast it off the bow, secured by a "bridle" attached to the
      bow seat risers rather than the bow itself - to allow the bow to
      still be able to rise to a wave. The bridle is simply a length of
      line from one side of the seat to the other side - being long enough
      to go out past the bow, so you end up with a "wishbone" configuration
      off the bow. This is also used for lining down rapids to prevent the
      bow from digging in.

      I can now visualize riding out a storm in a Micro in this fashion
      with the anchors off the bow and the mizzen used to maintain the best
      angle into the waves to keep them from knocking the boat over.

      Now I understand (I think!)

      Cheers, Nels