folding schooner vs light

  • pauldayau
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2003
      as anowner /builder of an FS here are a few thoughts before you
      begin. YOU need to take a big crew every time or have a good long
      shaft O/B to do the rowing. YUo will need to beef up the hinge mounts
      and the latches.. You will have to biuld a small trailer mast to
      unfold it as it is very rare to find a launch site where you can
      unfold in the water. Ours is designed to fold and pack into the
      boatand uses a 1/2 tonne chain block to lift,after the winch cable
      almost parted during a lift. i would consider unfolding on the water
      very hazardous to peoples backs. folding is worse. The process is not
      condusive to good marital relations.
      The FS has plenty of room to sail inand can take a large crew, but
      the helmsman needs to make people realize that everyone has a job to
      doand that not everybody can be in the bow at one time.
      . At some time in the future I may consider mating the 2 hulls, and
      towing a loooooonnnnnnnggggg trailer. this would have to be after I
      take it to Tasmania on the ferry for a holiday.
      this boat can carry a mountain of camping gear.
      Cheers paul