Re: Finishing Bright?

  • Pete Staehling
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 24, 2003
      I always tried to avoid varnish in the past until I built a kayak
      and used it. I was amazed at the ease of application, the
      durability, and the beauty of the finised product. This was with Z-
      Spar 'Captain's Varnish' over epoxy.

      I basically followed the instructions on the CLC site (see address
      at the bottom) and was amazed. I found it easier to apply and more
      durable than paint, better looking, and you can see the condition of
      the wood underneath.

      Since then I have done some oars and some spars and been pleased
      with the results with varnish over epoxy. I found it a little
      harder to get a perfect finish on spars compared to a flatter
      surface, but it still looked good. Maybe next time I will try the
      rotisserie trick.

      IMO, there is no contest, varnish wins hands down over paint for
      spars.

      Pete

      For a varnishing tutorial see:
      http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/shoptips_varnishing.php/