Folding vs. Light schooner

  • minnboatbuilder
    Message 1 of 123 , Nov 22, 2003
      First post (Please be gentle) :0)

      I feel the need to build a schooner, but am having a problem deciding
      if it should be a Folding Schooner or a Light Scooner. Any comments,
      opinions or experiences would be appreciated. The boat will be used
      for recreation on lakes.
      Right or wrong here are my assumptions:

      The Folding Schooner (FS) will be easier to trailer and store than
      the Light Scooner (LS).
      The FS will cost 20% more to build and take 20% longer to build.
      The FS it longer, heavier, and has a little less sail so it should be
      harder to knock down than the LS.
      The LS will be more nimble and thus easier to get into and out of
      trouble.
      Crew requirements are about the same for either boat. Ballast may be
      required for a light crew in the FS.

      If this has all been cover before I apologize, please lead me to the
      pertinent thread. Thanks.

      - Tim B
      Message 123 of 123 , Dec 9, 2003
        --- "antec007" <pateson@c...> wrote: