[bolger] Re: martha jane rudder conflicts ( renamed)

  • edward haile
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2000
      Reply to Steve Anderson,

      I have done a lot of things to my Martha Jane only to undo them and decide
      the original was best. But the motor mount idea is a good one and has
      lasted. See, if you raise the transom, or hang a rudder amidships, you lose
      your best ingress/egress.

      But for other reasons I am very interested in your transom hung arrangement.
      I wish I could get details from you.

      Yes, it's a 2hp Honda 4 stroke. Adequate? Yes, with nothing to spare. It
      comes close to hull speed, say, 6k wide open, but you shouldn't run wide
      open more than a half hour. Subtract a knot or two in strong headwinds. But
      hey why aren't you sailing when the wind's up?

      I bought my first engine in 1960 (5hp) and bought my second engine in 1998,
      and I have done plenty of cruising and daysailing in between. Why? I ran up
      the river to Fredericksburg (Virginia) and back, narrow waters, on half
      throttle at about 4k, burned 2-1/2 gals of petroleum derivative in 70 miles,
      sailed 35. I need power to make neat trips like that.