[bolger] Re: how rip 2x4 w/circular saw

  • KF4call@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2000
      David,
      I have been ripping 1 X material with a circular saw only for a long
      time. I use a long piece of angle iron salvaged from an old bed frame as the
      guide. First I cut the work piece to length. I clamp the angle iron guide
      on the work piece with the area to be cut hanging off the side of my work
      table (1/2 ply on sawhorses) . Depending on the width of the stock, various
      adjustments have to be made to assure clamping tension. For example, if the
      stock is narrow, I put two of them side by side and overlap another board
      which is clamped for stability. Very often the frame rail is longer than
      what I want to cut, so I clamp it at it's very ends to several "filler"
      blocks that go between the guide and the workbench. If you do this, it is
      important to assure that the work piece is held firmly enough, so sometimes I
      use a thin shim or spacer to adjust the tension. With practice, and repeated
      measuring of the depth of the guide on each end, the results can be quite
      good. Regards, Warren