Marine Plywood

  • John Spoering
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2003
      Hi All -

      Found this at Harbor Marine Lumber in Buffalo, NY. This looks interesting, is listed as Marine Plywood and since I'll need about 20+ sheets for my "Champlain" the price seems very good.

      Anyone have any experience with this plywood or Harbor Marine ?

      BS 6566 Meranti

      (sample of BS6566 Meranti 18mm - 3/4" - 11 ply)

      B/BB Meranti face & core veneers. 1 mm face veneers. Equal or nearly equal laminations. WBP Gluelines. Medium weight, good bending characteristics. Excellent structural plywood. Pending Lloyds certification.

      Thickness
      Weight
      # of plies
      Price/sheett
      Price/10+ sheets

      1/4" (6mm)
      24 lbs
      5
      $ 26.00
      $ 24.70

      3/8" (9mm)
      38 lbs
      5
      $ 32.00
      $ 30.40

      1/2" (12mm)
      50 lbs
      7
      $ 42.00
      $ 39.90

      5/8" (15mm)
      60 lbs
      9
      $ 54.00
      $ 51.30

      3/4" (18mm)
      75 lbs
      11
      $ 63.00
      $ 59.85

      Aloha - Jack Spoering - Ft Lauderdale, Florida

    • dickb_bolger
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2003
        John: The Buffalo, NY address has me thinking that they are related
        to Noahs -- a Toronto firm that sells plywood and that has a Buffalo
        office for cross-border orders. True/False? If so, then I bought a
        ton of this stuff -- 1/2" and 1/4" nominal -- for my (perenially
        under construction) Chebacco. They packaged the bundle okay,
        arranged for the freight, and were generally fine to work with. I've
        cut lots, joined lots with epoxy and screws...and...so far, it not
        being afloat, have found it delightful. I don't know about the B/BB
        surfaces as I'd say mine were almost like A-/B. This might be the
        same, who knows? The number of interior gaps has been nil, and once,
        on an edge a slight gap which I filled with epoxy and a sliver of a
        ply. If it isn't Noah, then check out Noah's prices -- you'll find
        them in WB mag.
      • Nels
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2003
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Spoering" <spoering@e...> wrote:
          > Hi All -
          >
          > Found this at Harbor Marine Lumber in Buffalo, NY. This
          looks interesting, is listed as Marine Plywood and since I'll need
          about 20+ sheets for my "Champlain" the price seems very good.

          > Anyone have any experience with this plywood or Harbor
          Marine ?

          Hi John,

          The description sounds a lot the same as that given at the Noah's
          website. I take it that the second price quoted is if you purchase
          ten or more sheets?

          http://www.noahsmarine.com/United_States/Plywoods-us/plywoods-us.html

          They also sell Okoume in two grades and another Meranti that is BS
          1088 but is pending Lloyds approval and has 13 plys instead of 11 in
          the 3/4" stuff. I was looking at the 5/8" that has 11 plys and was
          wondering if anyone has tried it?
          Or even the 1/2" that has 9 plys. Seems that one could go with a size
          smaller and still get the same number of plys as the BS 6566.

          Two layers of 5/8" and you get 22 plys! Oh Mama Mia!

          What is the difference between 6566 and 1088? Is 1088 completely free
          of voids?

          Anyway you can get some price comparisons from that link.

          Let us know what you decide:-)

          Nels
        • John Spoering
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2003
            Hi Dick -

            Thanks for your input - yes, it's Noah's and could be the same ply you used. The price seems to be as good as buying Home Depots horrible "marine" ply that was full of voids and had no markings at all. If the cost of shipping isn't outrageous this seems the way to go so far.

            I've also found but haven't been able to personally check out "Inland Plywood" of Cocoa Beach, Florida and "Dixie Plywood and Lumber" in Ft Lauderdale both of which supposedly carry marine ply, MDO etc.

            Has anyone any experience with either ?

            Aloha - Jack Spoering - Ft Lauderdale, Fl

          • Frank Bales
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 2, 2003
              WhoooWeee, some of that stuff's a bit spendy! I was just thinking about
              marine plywood today, and lo and behold a couple of posts. You guys are
              really good. :) --FrankB

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 2, 2003
                > Anyone have any experience with this plywood or Harbor Marine ?
                >
                > BS 6566 Meranti

                I've used about 55 sheets of the 80 sheets I purchased last year for the
                Wyoming. I have yet to find a bad spot or void when cutting. It's 9 ply,
                1/2 inch Maranti BS 6566 with some actual marine ply mixed with it. (1088
                ?) I can't tell any difference. I have several scraps laying out exposed to
                the weather and other than turning gray and a bit weathered with some slight
                raised grain, it's in great shape.

                It's really good stuff and seems to be dimensionally stable so it shouldn't
                check like pine and fir plywood does.

                Jeff
              • dickb_bolger
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                  Apparently the (only??) difference between 1088 and 6566 is the
                  thickness of the outer plies -- on 1088 they're supposedly the same
                  as inner plies while on 6566 they're fine as frog hair. Careful
                  sanding kept this outer 6566 ply in fine shape for me, although in a
                  couple of spots where I bloopered, I cut through the blooper with a
                  grinder and super-gooped the exposed plies with non-thickened epoxy --
                  this was at a joint that got glass tape and fillet so it was sort of
                  okay.

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Blunck" <boatbuilding@g...>
                  wrote:
                  > > Anyone have any experience with this plywood or Harbor
                  Marine ?

                  > > BS 6566 Meranti
                  > >

                  > I've used about 55 sheets of the 80 sheets I purchased last year
                  for the
                  > Wyoming. I have yet to find a bad spot or void when cutting. It's
                  9 ply,
                  > 1/2 inch Maranti BS 6566 with some actual marine ply mixed with
                  it. (1088
                  > ?) I can't tell any difference. I have several scraps laying out
                  exposed to
                  > the weather and other than turning gray and a bit weathered with
                  some slight
                  > raised grain, it's in great shape.
                  >
                  > It's really good stuff and seems to be dimensionally stable so it
                  shouldn't
                  > check like pine and fir plywood does.
                  >
                  > Jeff
                • Nels
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dickb_bolger" <burnharch@h...> wrote:
                    > Apparently the (only??) difference between 1088 and 6566 is the
                    > thickness of the outer plies -- on 1088 they're supposedly the same
                    > as inner plies while on 6566 they're fine as frog hair. Careful
                    > sanding kept this outer 6566 ply in fine shape for me, although in
                    > couple of spots where I bloopered, I cut through the blooper with a
                    > grinder and super-gooped the exposed plies with non-thickened
                    epoxy --
                    > this was at a joint that got glass tape and fillet so it was sort
                    of
                    > okay.

                    Hi Dick,

                    Thanks for the heads up on this point. Now I am very curious as to
                    why you were sanding it in the first place?

                    Is it not already sanded? If I pay that much for plywood I don't to
                    sand any of it away:-(

                    Nels (Curious about all the sanding while asking Santa for PC RO
                    Sander like Peter's:-)
                  • Jeff
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003

                      > Is it not already sanded? If I pay that much for plywood I don't to
                      > sand any of it away:-(

                      It's very smooth and well sanded and only one sheet so far has had any sort
                      of major flaw on the surface ply otherwise it looks cabinet grade.

                      Jeff
                    • dickb_bolger
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
                        I would probably have been sanding to roughen up the expoxied surface
                        to take the xynole cloth/epoxy, or to try to ease out a not-so-very-
                        good joinery job...or both.
                      • Nels
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 20, 2006
                          If anybody feels that good plywood is too expensive, just consider the
                          work and expertise involved to make it. Various cross-sections are
                          shown here: (Prices are CAN $)

                          http://noahsmarine.com/Canada/Plywoods-can/plywoods-can.html

                          Check the BS1088 Meranti:

                          Each layer is 1.5 mm equal in thickness and alternating in grain and
                          glued together under pressure with waterproof/boil tested glue.
                          (sample of BS1088 Meranti 18mm - 3/4" - 13 ply)

                          You can make your won by purchasing the veneers - which is called cold
                          molding - but buying them premanufactured is probably cheaper and less
                          labour intensive to build a boat. No jigs, molds, strongbacks necessary.

                          So long as it is a Bolger box that is;-)Therein lies the genius of
                          Bogler although a lot of people don't "get it".

                          Nels