San Juan Rendezvous in 2004

  • jas_orr
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2 10:32 AM
      Hi folks,

      The following is aimed at any list members within reach of the San
      Juan Islands. It is also being posted on the Western Oregon
      Messabout list. Hope to hear from you!

      To all builders, sailors, drivers and other fans of small boats:

      Last summer Chuck Gottfried and I sailed from opposite shores and met
      up at Sucia Island State Park, in the San Juan Islands. We started
      talking about what a great place Sucia, with its campgrounds and
      choice of anchorages, would be for a bunch of small boat sailors (I
      use the term generically) to get together.

      So what this is, folks, is an open invitation to small boaters,
      whether they sail, power, row or whatever, to come to Sucia Island
      next summer for the 2004 Small-Boat-Nut Rendezvous.

      Sucia is at the north end of the group, easily accessible from
      Anacortes, where Chuck launched, Bellingham, or Sidney BC, where I
      launched. Bellingham would be the closest, maybe 10 miles, but I
      haven't measured it exactly. Friday Harbor is another starting
      point, but involves a ferry ride first. (None of these involve a
      lot of open water, but pay attention to the tide and weather, as

      There's all kinds of space at Sucia, and folk can sleep aboard, or
      set up a tent ashore. We can reserve a group camping site if we
      want. There are firepits, as well as the other kind of pits. The
      website below says that there are other facilities as well, including
      docks, but I only saw the western side of the island so don't have
      first hand knowledge. To keep ourselves amused, we can have a big
      barbecue, hold rowing or sailing races, try out each others boats and
      maybe try a few anchor tests (if anyone brings a big enough motor.)
      All this plus all the boat talk you can stand! I expect there will
      also be some informal beer tasting, so bring your local brew!

      I think this is a destination that will appeal to wives, girlfriends
      and families too, as long as they don't hate boats!

      Early July would suit me, how about the rest of you? Would four days
      work? Friday and Monday for travel, Saturday and Sunday for the
      rendezvous. Those who would like a longer time afloat can extend
      their weekend into a cruise around the islands, maybe joining up with
      like-minded souls. As for dates, perhaps we should avoid the 4th, I
      imagine some of you have your own plans that weekend, but how about
      the weekend of July 10 and 11?

      The only way to get to Sucia is by boat. If those with smaller boats
      are concerned about crossing channels safely, perhaps they can travel
      together or in company with a larger boat. Last summer we saw a
      crowd of kids in open canoes who had come up from Friday Harbor, and
      they had no problems.

      Let me know, on this list or directly, if you're
      (a) interested,
      (b) very interested, or
      (c) interested/very interested but can't make that weekend.

      Bring out your ideas for activities or anything else, and let's see
      how we can shape this thing. So far there are two Chebaccos and a
      Thomcat in the very interested column!

      Hoping to hear from you,

      Jamie Orr

      More about Sucia Island State Park

      Says "Sucia Island State Park covers 564 acres with over 77,000 feet
      of saltwater shoreline on the Strait of Georgia. Boating facilities
      include two docks with 12'x160' mooring floats and 48 mooring buoys.
      Other amenities are an underwater scuba park with one locator buoy
      and 6.2 miles of hiking trails. Park visitors will find the marine
      fossil deposits at Fossil Bay of special interest.
      Camping facilities include 55 campsites, two reservation group camps,
      three picnic shelters, 16 picnic sites, five pit toilets and nine
      composting toilets. Drinking water is available April through
      September. All garbage must be packed out.
      Facility use is first come, first served, with continuous moorage
      limited to three consecutive nights. Fees are charged year around.
      Call (360) 753-5771 for a fee update as all fees are subject to
      Some of the activities enjoyed in the park are primitive camping,
      picnicking, hiking, scuba, clamming and crabbing."