Re: [bolger] Re: Fast Brick

    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 1, 2003
      --- Mark wrote:
      > The cutwater and full draft stern
      > are the main things.

      The Fast Brick is intended to be
      a life boat, and it also has 2"
      Styrofoam sandwiched on the hull
      to give it great floatation.

      Also, I recall there are chambers
      to stow survival gear to be at
      the constant ready, for quick
      get-a-way. The spars and sail
      are designed to stow easily on
      board too.
    • Frank Bales
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 2, 2003
        Does anyone recall what issue of MAIB fast brick was in? --FrankB
          > Does anyone recall what issue of MAIB fast brick was in? --FrankB
          09/01/03
        • bucentaurus
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 29 3:17 AM
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

            > --- Mark wrote:
            > > The cutwater and full draft stern
            > > are the main things.
            >
            > The Fast Brick is intended to be
            > a life boat, and it also has 2"
            > Styrofoam sandwiched on the hull
            > to give it great floatation.
            >
            > Also, I recall there are chambers
            > to stow survival gear to be at
            > the constant ready, for quick
            > get-a-way. The spars and sail
            > are designed to stow easily on
            > board too.

            Hallo! I have a big interest about Fast Brick. Can you tell me the purpose of its most significant part - rostrum. IMHO rostrum is used to break head-sea. Sailboat what can plane with 10 hp motor is also nice. In my country powerful motors are too rare and expensive. So for me is important maximum speed/minimum power to come to my favorite desert island Jarilgach at Northern Coast of Black Sea in one day.
            It also would be widened due to our standard of plywood (1,5x1,5m).

            Thank in anticipation
          • Fred Schumacher
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 31 6:36 AM
              On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 5:17 AM, bucentaurus <motaro76@...> wrote:

              Hallo! I have a big interest about Fast Brick. Can you tell me the purpose of its most significant part - rostrum. IMHO rostrum is used to break head-sea.

              When Phil Bolger was a young man, serving in the army of occupation of Japan after World War II, he came across the yamato-gata boats of Tokyo Bay, which solved the problem of providing greater seaworthiness to a flat bottomed boat by adding a rostrum, or cutwater as it is more commonly known, to the front of the boat. Bolger wrote a description of these boats, the first article he ever had published, for The Rudder magazine in 1948.This article was reprinted in a Bolger retrospective in the July-August, 2008 issue of the magazine Watercraft. (See: http://www.watercraft.co.uk/backs.htm)

              For those of you unfamiliar with the term "rostrum," it is the Latin word for "beak," the plural form of which, "rostra," came to refer to the speakers platform in the ancient Roman Forum, which had the ramming beaks of enemy warships mounted on its front.  Since then, rostra has come to mean a speaker's platform.

              Since you have 1.5 x 1.5 meter plywood as standard, you may want to look into Bolger's Design #583 Power Yawl. (See: http://hallman.org/bolger/583/583PowerYawlboat.gif) It is 3.5 meters long by 1.5 meters wide of 12 mm. and 6 mm. plywood; has a flat bottom with a rostrum which extends underneath the bottom as a shallow box keel; and is a heavy duty boat designed to be unsinkable and carry 450 kg. and be able to be used as a tugboat to push or tow much heavier boats around. Bolger wrote about it in Messing About in Boats, Volume 9, Number 15.

              Fred