Re: [bolger] Pilothouse windows [was Bow Shed]

    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 1, 2003
      --- sctree wrote:
      > Still thinking about some
      > camber, with deep
      > routered slots

      I looked again critically at my
      cambered windows, and I did more
      like 1" in 36", and the camber
      definitely helps a lot with the wobble.
      The deflections that are visible, are
      localized where I screwed [overscrewed]
      the lexan to the molding strips.

      One thing to consider, on the PB&F
      plans, the window openings have
      rounded corners. I found that the
      job of stem bending the molding
      strips to be a 'learning experience'
      to say the least. Routing the channel
      might work better, but fitting the
      lexan in routed slots seems tough.

      > Hey Bruce, how about towing the
      > Navigator out to the
      > November Messabout in Stockton????

      There is no way my Navigator will be
      ready by Nov 29th, but my S.O. and I
      may come with Teal, tent & sleeping bags.
    • sctree
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 1, 2003
        Bruce Hallman wrote:

        > --- sctree wrote:
        > > Still thinking about some
        > > camber, with deep
        > > routered slots
        >
        > I looked again critically at my
        > cambered windows, and I did more
        > like 1" in 36", and the camber
        > definitely helps a lot with the wobble.
        > The deflections that are visible, are
        > localized where I screwed [overscrewed]

        Been there, done that.

        > the lexan to the molding strips.
        >
        > One thing to consider, on the PB&F
        > plans, the window openings have
        > rounded corners.

        Luckily I have squared corners.

        > I found that the
        > job of stem bending the molding
        > strips to be a 'learning experience'
        > to say the least. Routing the channel
        > might work better, but fitting the
        > lexan in routed slots seems tough.

        My intent is to fit the panes before assembling the final stile, then
        fitting the whole mess to the cabin.

        > > Hey Bruce, how about towing the
        > > Navigator out to the
        > > November Messabout in Stockton????
        >
        > There is no way my Navigator will be
        > ready by Nov 29th, but my S.O. and I
        > may come with Teal, tent & sleeping bags.

        Cool, another Bolger boat. Plan on Windmill Cove Marina, the 29th. I
        hope to be there the night before, and maybe the night after with
        Microtrawler. Maybe Pointy Skiff. Details to follow in a few days......

        Rick

        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 2, 2003
          --- sctree wrote:
          > > rounded corners.
          >
          > Luckily I have squared corners.

          I don't regret the rounded
          corners, I like the way they
          look, but it *was* extra work.
          Also, I think that the rounding,
          [would you call that filleting?]
          also serves structurally with the
          connections of the stiles and rails,
          and that is probably the reason that
          the PB&F plans show them.

          > My intent is to fit the panes before
          > assembling the final stile, then
          > fitting the whole mess to the cabin.

          How will you connect the last joint?
          I found it easy to goober up the Lexan
          with glue, and it scratches too easily.
        • sctree
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 2, 2003
            Bruce,

            > I don't regret the rounded
            > corners, I like the way they
            > look, but it *was* extra work.

            I agree they will look better rounded. Reddy is mostly square angles, so
            the rectangular window frames aren't so bad.

            > Also, I think that the rounding,
            > [would you call that filleting?]
            > also serves structurally with the
            > connections of the stiles and rails,
            > and that is probably the reason that
            > the PB&F plans show them.

            Yes, they work like a gusset. Much stronger frame corners, and I'd guess
            the rounded corner of the pane is stronger than a 90 degree corner...

            > > My intent is to fit the panes before
            > > assembling the final stile, then
            > > fitting the whole mess to the cabin.
            >
            > How will you connect the last joint?
            > I found it easy to goober up the Lexan
            > with glue, and it scratches too easily.

            My current idea is the rails and stiles connected with half lap joints.
            On the benchtop epoxy three sides together with the fourth dry fitted to
            maintain shape. Next day slide in the pane with flexible goop in the
            slots, epoxy on the fourth. Later bed and screw the whole thing to the
            cabin, like when a house gets new windows....

            What I'll actually do, who knows? I'm open to suggestions.

            Last two goes at this sort of thing I left the paper on the panes until
            very close to launching day.

            Rick

            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 2, 2003
              --- sctree wrote: