Re: [bolger] depth of keel

  • John Bell
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
      I remember seeing somewhere that the underwater lateral area should be
      around 4-6% of sail area. Maybe somebody can confirm this for the group.

      Without knowing the specifics of your design, I can't say whether or not it
      will be enough. Judging from the dearth of designs with this type of keel,
      I'd say it hasn't been sufficiently perfected to have become very popular.

      The only boat I can think of that even comes close to this concept is
      Conrad Natzio's 'Shoveler', an Auray-type punt with moderately shallow bilge
      keels. Don't know how it performs compared to a more conventional set-up.

      JB

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
        According to PCB, the basic idea behind a deep keel is that the water near
        the surface is moved by the wind. A deeper keel is needed to make
        significant progress upwind. This is more significant off-shore in the
        ocean than it is in your local lake or river.

        Roger
        derbyrm@...
        http://derbyrm.mystarband.net