depth of keel

  • Jeff Comfrey
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2003
      what about adding small keel to the flat bottom say just 3 inches deeper and two or three inches wider for the whole length. would that be enough to provide good lee drift control or does the keel always have to be so deep to be of a real use

    • John Bell
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
        I remember seeing somewhere that the underwater lateral area should be
        around 4-6% of sail area. Maybe somebody can confirm this for the group.

        Without knowing the specifics of your design, I can't say whether or not it
        will be enough. Judging from the dearth of designs with this type of keel,
        I'd say it hasn't been sufficiently perfected to have become very popular.

        The only boat I can think of that even comes close to this concept is
        Conrad Natzio's 'Shoveler', an Auray-type punt with moderately shallow bilge
        keels. Don't know how it performs compared to a more conventional set-up.

        JB

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
          According to PCB, the basic idea behind a deep keel is that the water near
          the surface is moved by the wind. A deeper keel is needed to make
          significant progress upwind. This is more significant off-shore in the
          ocean than it is in your local lake or river.

          Roger
          derbyrm@...
          http://derbyrm.mystarband.net