Looking for a sail/row boat

  • jerrych57
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 30, 2003
      Hello All,
      This is a copy of a post I put on Duckworks new Yahoo forum:

      I've been quietly hanging around the on-line "waterfront" for many
      months now. This is the first time I've put my toe in the water, so
      to speak. I'd like some advice on how to find a boat. Cheaper is
      better, it'll get banged around some until I refine my skills.

      I stopped in at the local sailboat / kayak store "Wind Toys" and got
      sticker shock right away. I've thought about building Dave Carnell's
      $200 sailboat, but time is tight and it would never get finished. I
      started a model of it. The part I really don't like fussing with is
      the finish work.

      I've got nearly every Saturday free to spend with 2 of my kids and
      I'd like to learn to sail with them. I also think we'd spend some
      time fishing if we were to get close enough to the water on a semi-
      frequent basis, so rowing ability or use of a small outboard would
      be a real plus. I know we all like to fish, we're just not very good
      at it. The best part is being away from the phones and pressing
      issues, etc.

      Where would you look for a used 14' - 16' sailing skiff or something
      similar that is easy to sail and stable enough for 4 people (2
      adults and 2 kids). I'd like to be able to row it, or attach a
      trolling motor to it. Most boats that sail and row seem to be the
      homebuild type. Is there a resource where these are frequently
      listed for sale?

      I'm in California, about 50 miles north of San Francisco. I'd need a
      light boat that can be pulled with a 4-cylinder car or pickup.

      Thanks for your help.

      --Jerry
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 31, 2003
        > I'd like some advice on how to find a boat.

        Don't build a boat unless you enjoy
        building boats! Much better is to
        buy a used boat. In the San Francisco
        Bay Area I think that lots of super
        bargains come up on the 'for sale'
        advertisments at www.craigslist.org.

        Search for 'boat'.

        If you want to build a boat and do not
        have 'hang ups' about looks. Consider
        the Bolger Brick.

        http://www.shortypen.com/boats/brick/

        If you don't like the 'finish' work,
        skip it. Ugly boats float fine.
      • Rob Mouradian
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 31, 2003
          I'd second what Bruce said. Building a boat is more work and takes
          longer than you might expect. If you don't really enjoy it, or if
          you are in a rush to get sailing, I think you are better off buying a
          used boat. Also, if you are like me, you will end up spending more
          than expected on the boat you build. Marine paint, epoxy, brass
          hardware, marine plywood, tools and so on all add up.

          If I were starting over, I would buy a boat first, and then think
          about building the boat you really want later. You can sail when the
          weather is good and build when you aren't sailing.

          Good luck,

          Rob

          > > I'd like some advice on how to find a boat.
          >
          > Don't build a boat unless you enjoy
          > building boats! Much better is to
          > buy a used boat. In the San Francisco
          > Bay Area I think that lots of super
          > bargains come up on the 'for sale'
          > advertisments at www.craigslist.org.
          >
          > Search for 'boat'.
          >
          > If you want to build a boat and do not
          > have 'hang ups' about looks. Consider
          > the Bolger Brick.
          >
          > http://www.shortypen.com/boats/brick/
          >
          > If you don't like the 'finish' work,
          > skip it. Ugly boats float fine.
        • Bill Kreamer
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 31, 2003
            Jerry, I would definitely hie thee down to the your local community or
            yacht club or other sailing organization that has a training program.
            They go through cycles of getting new 14-16 foot boats to keep their
            fleet up to snuff. And they will usually sell the old ones very
            reasonably, first come best served. -Bill

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
            065791:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=124j83ehr/*http:/ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitake
            nattogyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595055> Click Here!

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egrou
            pmail/S=:HM/A=1595055/rand=351575474>

            Bolger rules!!!
            - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930,
            Fax: (978) 282-1349

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • kris nordby
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 31, 2003
              ah but on the other hand i build a bolger teal some 20 years ago, out
              of salvaged ply that was weatherd , salvaged 2x4's. i treated the boat
              after construction with terpintine a few times, then i thinned down
              some non marine paint and let it soak that in binding the fibers down,
              sanded vigerously and put on a few coats sanding , i got a smoth
              surface, and did i mention that no glass was used anywear on the boat,
              that boat sat out side up side down for 5 years in humbolt county, the
              got put up in the boat shed's rafters and is still there the shed is
              open to the elements , its still there and its still sailible, needs
              paint!!
              however i did see some boats and trailers on craigslist. for good
              prices!!

              and my point?
              you can make a boat with out going broke

              On Friday, October 31, 2003, at 09:51 AM, Rob Mouradian wrote:

              > I'd second what Bruce said.  Building a boat is more work and takes
              > longer than you might expect.  If you don't really enjoy it, or if
              > you are in a rush to get sailing, I think you are better off buying a
              > used boat.  Also, if you are like me, you will end up spending more
              > than expected on the boat you build.  Marine paint, epoxy, brass
              > hardware, marine plywood, tools and so on all add up.
              >
              > If I were starting over, I would buy a boat first, and then think
              > about building the boat you really want later.  You can sail when the
              > weather is good and build when you aren't sailing.
              >
              > Good luck,
              >
              > Rob
              >

              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman <bruce@h...> wrote:
              > > > I'd like some advice on how to find a boat.
              > >
              > > Don't build a boat unless you enjoy
              > > building boats!  Much better is to
              > > buy a used boat.  In the San Francisco
              > > Bay Area I think that lots of super
              > > bargains come up on the 'for sale'
              > > advertisments at www.craigslist.org.
              > >
              > > Search for 'boat'.
              > >
              > > If you want to build a boat and do not
              > > have 'hang ups' about looks. Consider
              > > the Bolger Brick.
              > >
              > > http://www.shortypen.com/boats/brick/
              > >
              > > If you don't like the 'finish' work,
              > > skip it.  Ugly boats float fine.

              <image.tiff>

              > Fax: (978) 282-1349
              > - Unsubscribe:  bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

            • James Meloy
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 31, 2003
                Jerry - I bought a Featherwind from a friend (who introduced me to this group)and it works great for what you're asking for. I use a small trolling motor and get around very nicely when I'm not sailing.

                Best of luck,
                Jim

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 31, 2003
                  I thought someone mention not long ago a larger version of the Brick? Not
                  the Super version with the cabin and all, just a larger version of the
                  Brick. I looked but couldn't find the post. Was I dreaming, or does such a
                  beast exist?
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 1, 2003
                    Thanks for all the replies, it's great getting to hear about all the
                    different experiences you've had.

                    I plan to build a boat someday, but learning to sail comes first.
                    I've sailed a little bit and took a Red Cross sailing class a long
                    time ago. A college roommate had a Hobi 14 and I went with him
                    fairly often until he got a girlfriend. He liked her as crew more
                    than me for some reason.

                    I'll be searching all the for sale ads I can find.

                    How do you post pictures? I built a model of Featherwind that I'd
                    like to share a picture of with you. It turned out pretty good, I
                    believe.

                    Thanks again,

                    Jerry
                  • Roger Derby
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
                      If you can find a group that has races, formal or informal, your sailing
                      skills will advance by leaps and bounds. We used racing (with Optimist
                      prams) starting with the third session of the classes at the Halifax River
                      Sailing Association. When someone in an identical boat is going faster, you
                      don't need the instructor to tell you you're doing something wrong.

                      (A slightly larger boat would be a lot easier on the knees. We raced
                      Sunfish on Sundays.)

                      (If you're not a member, join.) Then select "Photos" then "Add Photo" then
                      browse to your image (on your disk), select it and click "upload" on the
                      Yahoo page.

                      Roger
                      derbyrm@...
                      http://derbyrm.mystarband.net