glass schedule

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 30, 2003
      Perhaps it would not be a bad idea to perhaps mention that my
      particular approach,at present,regarding the application of glass
      fibers is guided by the designers instructions regarding his
      WINDERMERE design.The heaviest build up of glass is all concentrated
      on the bottom structures.To wit; 1 layer of 10oz glass UNDER the
      shoe,followed by 3 layers of 10oz glass over the shoe,fillet
      pieces,box-keel and hull bottom.The box-keel proper has an additional
      layer of 10oz glass extending 16 feet back from the stem.
      The topsides,roof top etc...get but a single layer of glass.
      Certainly it can be expected that some prefer less glass while others
      might suggest more. Being nothing more then a lazy boat bum who
      happens to love lots of cold beer, I am compelled to stick with my
      Heros specs if only for the sake of a good nights sleep :-)
      I also whole heartedly encourage other amateur builders to follow the
      scantlings and schedules called out for by their designer since I
      believe this leads to much less grief over the long haul.

      Happy building to all:-)

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan,about to take a late night stroll in the hope of seeing
      some vivid displays of the Northern lights thanks to our burping
      solar furnace,Mr Sun.
    • Frank Bales
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 31, 2003
        Peter, my Canadian wife was outside tonight looking for northern lights
        since the news said they might be visible this far south because of "Mr..
        Sun," but she didn't see any. How about you? --Frank
        Peter Lenihan,about to take a late night stroll in the hope of seeing
        some vivid displays of the Northern lights thanks to our burping
        solar furnace,Mr Sun.

      • Bob Chamberland
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 31, 2003
          As a postscript to this wise advice I would suggest that a lot of
          questions are answered by "reading the directions on the can" so to speak.
          Bob Chamberland

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <lestat@b...> wrote:
          > Perhaps it would not be a bad idea to perhaps mention that my
          > particular approach,at present,regarding the application of glass
          > fibers is guided by the designers instructions regarding his
          > WINDERMERE design.The heaviest build up of glass is all concentrated
          > on the bottom structures.To wit; 1 layer of 10oz glass UNDER the
          > shoe,followed by 3 layers of 10oz glass over the shoe,fillet
          > pieces,box-keel and hull bottom.The box-keel proper has an additional
          > layer of 10oz glass extending 16 feet back from the stem.
          > The topsides,roof top etc...get but a single layer of glass.
          > Certainly it can be expected that some prefer less glass while others
          > might suggest more. Being nothing more then a lazy boat bum who
          > happens to love lots of cold beer, I am compelled to stick with my
          > Heros specs if only for the sake of a good nights sleep :-)
          > I also whole heartedly encourage other amateur builders to follow the
          > scantlings and schedules called out for by their designer since I
          > believe this leads to much less grief over the long haul.
          >
          > Happy building to all:-)
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Peter Lenihan,about to take a late night stroll in the hope of seeing
          > some vivid displays of the Northern lights thanks to our burping
          > solar furnace,Mr Sun.
        • Nels
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 31, 2003
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Chamberland" <cha62759@t...>
            wrote:
            > As a postscript to this wise advice I would suggest that a lot of
            > questions are answered by "reading the directions on the can" so to
            speak.
            > Bob Chamberland

            Although I agree to that advice - for some of us - "the can" doesn't
            have much in the way of directions.

            Here is the entire set of directions from my can. (Plan)

            "General: All plywood is intended to be from 3/8" X 4' X 8'. May be
            thicker up to 1/2" for greater resistance to local impact and
            generally more solid sensation, traded agains added cost, increased
            trailer weight, and (probably slight) reduction in performance.

            Natural wood can be any species having good gluing properties.
            Relatively soft, flexible types, spruce, fir or cedar are preferable
            to hard and stiff woods except where "hard" is specified. Fastenings
            can be screws or ring nails mostly 1" long. External fiberglass
            sheathing typically one layer of 10 oz. cloth, is recommended for
            ease of finish and maintenance. It is not needed for structural
            reasons."

            Certainly this is enough information, particularly when combined with
            a copy of the appropriate Payson book. But on the other hand, when
            some of these olders designs were drawn up - Payson was still
            recommending polyester resins!

            Seems perhaps the new designs may come with more written intructions
            by the sound of what Peter tells us. That is why a forum such as this
            is so valuable I would suggest.

            Thanks for all the advice!

            Cheers, Nels
          • Peter Lenihan
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 31, 2003
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Bales" <fbales@l...> wrote:
              > Peter, my Canadian wife was outside tonight looking for northern
              lights
              > since the news said they might be visible this far south because
              of "Mr..
              > Sun," but she didn't see any. How about you? --Frank

              Frank,
              Nope! We had a bit of cloud cover/haze and darned if I could
              get far enough away from the loom of the city lights.Wanted to take a
              drive up North but my attorney told me to get my sorry a** back
              inside before she gives me some"Northern Lights"..........what a
              sport:-(

              Sincerely,
              Peter Lenihan,watching the rain clouds rolling back in after several
              hours absence...........
            • dnjost
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 31, 2003
                At 7:00 PM in Westborough, Massachusetts, the Northern Lights were
                simply fantastic!!! One of the most amazing events I have ever
                witnessed. At 8:00 PM it was all but over.

                The lights were visible ENE.

                David Jost

                in the burbs of Boston.
              • Jack &Lois
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 31, 2003
                  Northern Lights were trully spectacular from the shores of Fundy last night. Scarsely a blink of light pollution. They appeared to imminate from straight overhead, like looking up inside a giant teepee. There was a period of red intensity to the east lasting 30 min. or so that was breath taking. Gotta love those sun spots.

                  jeb, out standing in the middle of Russia Road in the dark, shouting "ENCORE! ENCORE!", above the crashing shores of Fundy

                • John Spoering
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 1, 2003
                    Hi All -

                    Hey, hey, you guys' got me all excited and last noght I was out checking for those Northern Lights. But all I saw was the bottom of my glass of Southern Comfort.

                    Aloha - Jack Spoering - Ft Lauderdale, Florida

                  • proaconstrictor
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
                      It's certainly not true that the purpose of a fillet is solely to
                      provide a curved surface for the glass. But if your engineering
                      concept is that the boat you are building would not require the
                      strength of the fillet (which can be enough by itself without any
                      glass), then just put the glass in without any fillet, that's
                      perfectly acceptable. It can be pre-molded over an abs pipe, for a
                      rounded chine effect, or scrunched hard to the inside corner, or let
                      hot flash and then tooled into the joint, or you can radius masking
                      tape and fire it over that. I don't see much harm in any caulk used
                      in the joint, it just seems like a possible contaminant, and extra
                      weight and expense.