RE: displacement vs. dry weight?

  • Jack &Lois
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2003
      Thanx Peter and Nels for the weighty insights. That's kinda what I thought. It's just that the occasional comment has confused me. Someone once remarked that a kayak and paddler displace 500 lbs. of water. My kayak weighs 38 lbs. and I weigh in at approx. 200 lbs. Even with my pfd and paddle that works out to more than 2:1. So I just wasn't sure.

      Sadly I have no designs on Tomboy, assuming Chuck was looking for a buyer. In my usual salutations from the shores of Fundy I guess I've not referred to them as the "impoverished shores of Fundy" or the "economically depressed shores of Fundy", which would at least accurately describe my part of that rocky region. No, the JC I'm interested in was rather brutally damaged in a recent hurricane. She may be beyond rescue, but I plan to check her out tomorrow. My wife will accompany me on the inspection armed with a stun gun, so likely nothing will come of it. I'll keep you posted.

      jeb, needing to "get a life" on the unforgiving shores of Fundy