Great boat book

  • chodges31711
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2003
      I found a great book by Dave Gerr, naval arch. - The Nature Of
      Boats : Insight and Esoterica For The Nautically Obessesed.
      It is about the how and why of all types of boats. It is full of
      rules of thumb to estimate just about anything you want to know about
      a boat. How much Hp. or sail does it need. How fast will it go. How
      many people will it carry. How many pounds of supplies are required
      for a 10 day cruise. What size propeller does it need.How much paint
      will it take. What size wire is needed. Why sacrificial zincs work
      and how to check them.

      It is humorously written. About 400 pages
      Great for putting some real life details to your dream boat or for
      helping with a repower or modification to an existing boat.

      All formulae and charts are English and Metric.

      It has a great nomograph for propeller-diameter/power/rpm and a
      chapter that explains very well what was talked about in the thread
      on power and props awhile back.

      Charles