October 2003 Messabout

  • sctree
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2003
      The October 2003 California Delta Messabout was an event that many of
      you will be sorry you missed. While not up to the the grandeur of the
      Great Kingston Messabout of this past September, our attendance was
      five times that of the August 2003 Delta Messabout! We had folks,
      male and female, ages 12 to... well, lets say "near retirement age"
      representing three countries including the wilds of the Canadian
      prairie, the Mediterranean island nation of Cyprus, and three states
      of the USA. We also had twice the number of boats compared to the
      August 2003 Messabout, all available for inspection, and we had some
      nice rides on the California Delta from the meeting/launch site on
      Bethel Island to the San Joaquin River and back. Water temp was 82F
      and air temp slightly above that, low humidity, clear skies, warm
      sunshine and a nice downslope breeze of 8-12 knots off the Sierra
      Nevada Mountains.

      Builder's experience ranged from "I'm still gluing her together" to
      "I'll soon be starting my tenth, or is it my twelfth boat? Topics
      discussed included; Where do you buy plywood? What primer, what
      paint? What epoxy at what cost? Did you know you can get silicone
      bronze boat nails at _____? Where have you sailed before? And then
      the big one, what design are you thinking of building next? With lots
      of agreement on the need for onboard sleeping space and
      pilothouses.... Seems like there are Bolgerites thinking of distant
      shores with somewhat more challenging weather conditions than the
      California Delta....

      Everyone I asked had a good time. To my knowledge, no one went
      hungry, no one was cold, no one was hot, no one got sun burnt, no
      mosquitos or other pests. Some stayed late and enjoyed a fine sunset
      meal at a fun little dockside restaurant overlooking the Delta waters
      beyond Piper Slough. By dark all but two had packed up and headed
      home. Those that stayed anchored out near a tidal sandbar, enjoying
      a warm peaceful night with the sound of distant cows mooing at the
      star filled moonless night.

      Today I found a very brief message on my answering machine from one
      of the attendees. All it said was, "That was fun".

      So I ask, how come you weren't there ?

      And more to the point, anyone interested in a ... ....

      NOVEMBER 2003 California Delta MESSABOUT ?

      Rick