MASCF

  • Paul W. Esterle
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2003
      Just returned from the Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival. Several Bolger
      boats there, including a Martha Jane. Greta day - 140+ boats there!

      Paul Esterle
      Freelance Boating Writer
      Member, Boating Writers International
      pages.preferred.com/~pesterle/
      www.smallcraftadvisor.com
      www.captnpauley.com
    • craig o'donnell
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2003
        >Just returned from the Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival. Several Bolger
        >boats there, including a Martha Jane. Greta day - 140+ boats there!
        >
        >Paul Esterle

        Yeh, including my Birdwatcher, which did indeed get into the water.
        The sailing rig is waiting for next season. I got many nice comments
        despite its rough-and-ready appearance and the lack of final touches
        here and there.

        Cheers -- COD
        --
        Craig O'Donnell
        Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

        -- Macintosh kinda guy
        Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
        _________________________________
        ---
      • David Romasco
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2003
          Not only got into the water! Craig put on a superlative demonstration of
          rowing a Birdwatcher in something of a breeze (although one character on the
          dock opined that it seemed to be a Michalak design that had been
          modified.... oh, the irony!). Can't wait to see the boat with sail up.
          Next year.....

          David Romasco

          >Just returned from the Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival. Several Bolger
          >boats there, including a Martha Jane. Greta day - 140+ boats there!
          >
          >Paul Esterle

          Yeh, including my Birdwatcher, which did indeed get into the water.
          The sailing rig is waiting for next season. I got many nice comments
          despite its rough-and-ready appearance and the lack of final touches
          here and there.

          Cheers -- COD
          --
          Craig O'Donnell
          Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
          The Cheap Pages <http://www2.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/>
          Plywood Boats, Bamboo Rafts, &c.
          _________________________________

          -- Macintosh kinda guy
          Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
          _________________________________
          ---

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050657
          91:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?
          camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupmai
          l/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=587754953>

          Bolger rules!!!
          (978) 282-1349

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2003
            --- David Romasco wrote:

            > a Birdwatcher...
            > ...seemed to be a Michalak
            > design that had been
            > modified.... oh, the irony!).

            Ha Ha Ha, Ha!

            Of course, [as I recall] Jim
            Michalak began his series of
            'box boat' designs after being
            [one of?] the first to build a
            Birdwatcher...all his designs
            can be seen as derivative of
            the Birdwatcher.

            The Birdwatcher is another of
            those boats which I would add to
            my 'Insolent' list of boats which
            are unique enough to warrant building
            from scratch.

            I spent the weekend working on my
            Micro Navigator project, presently
            focusing on the roof, and roof hatch.

            Details on the plans for the roof and
            hatches are essentially non-existant,
            which means it is up to the builder to
            figure out how to do it.

            I chose to go with a slightly longer roof hatch,
            (five feet long), turning my cabin roof into a sort
            of mini-birdwatcher roof slot. A Micro Navigator,
            at 15'6" LOA has an awsomely huge cabin especially
            compared to the commercial figerglass sloops with
            cramped dark damp cuddys.

            {Working now with on-board stereo music, [MP3 player,
            Cambridge Soundworks, w/subwoofer], (soon to be)
            powered by photovoltaic electrical system!}
          • craig o'donnell
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 6, 2003
              >Not only got into the water! Craig put on a superlative demonstration of
              >rowing a Birdwatcher in something of a breeze (although one character on the
              >dock opined that it seemed to be a Michalak design that had been
              >modified.... oh, the irony!). Can't wait to see the boat with sail up.
              >Next year.....

              Well, handily enough you can hold the tiller at a desired angle with
              your feet. It's also important - which I quickly discovered - to know
              how to row it backwards. <chuckle>

              I will probably have 2 rigs on the boat. Everyone has said it's
              undercanvassed. I'm thinking of the "pound net sharpie" style sail as
              a summer rig. (See Chapelle).

              I did see a fine Michalak boat (on its way home, unfortunately) - a
              Norm's boat.

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 6, 2013
                Far as I could determine there were no Bolger plywood designs at the weekend's mid-Atlantic Small Craft Fest. Some could have been too far out in the Miles River to see.

                Bill Parkes brought his Dovekie, however, always nice to see one. There was a "sharpie schooner" which certainly showed PCB influence though I couldn't identify the plan specifically.

                I plead guilty to neglecting to bring my Birdwatcher, but I plead a medical excuse. Box Turtle will be in the water at the Downrigging Festival in Chestertown MD first weekend November. Just google sultana Downrigging festival.

                But in terms of DIY small boating, this was one of the best yet. The day was almost too warm, unusual for MASCF. Paddle, row and sail of all types, several electric launches, and a couple of skiffs obviously built as floating displays for vintage motors. There was enough wind for almost everyone to sail, except maybe the replica John Smith shallop, which is one heavy momma. There were people in Old Town plastic canoes and people in boats built to cabinetmaker standards. Great to see.

                Speaking of influence, Jim Michalak boats didn't seem to be represented either, and I saw no Gavin Atkin meeseboats.

                And several John Harris designs hinted at his long interest in Phil's ideas.

                Whack-boing! It's dub!
                www.thecheappages.com
              • Leigh
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 6, 2013
                  There will be next year. I'm refitting Pelican. ( Martha Jane). We plan on doing a lot of sailing in her next year. If any one knows anything about her history ,please contact me.

                  Leigh Ross

                  484 464 1575 C
                  610  624 1730 H

[...]

                • alias1719
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 7, 2013

                     The sharpie schooner you likely are talking about (there were several) was a Bolger "His and Hers Schooner" - newly completed and the only one I've seen. Nicely done. There was also an "Elegant Punt," though they were using a different sail rig.

                    Fun event, lots of amazing small boats - more than the show at Mystic - and lots of nice folks.

                    Dave Gentry

                    ---In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <bolger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    Far as I could determine there were no Bolger plywood designs at the weekend's mid-Atlantic Small Craft Fest. S

                    Bill Parkes brought his Dovekie, however, always nice to see one. There was a "sharpie schooner" which certainly showed PCB influence though I couldn't identify the plan specifically..

                  • c.ruzer
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 28, 2013

                       MARTHA JANE Zephyr http://home.comcast.net/~kgmurphy/sws/00-9/page3.html

                      H&H/SHS http://www.clcboats.com/images/photos/ontheroad/2013/mascf/20-IMG_5224.JPG

                      DOVEKIE http://www.clcboats.com/images/photos/ontheroad/2013/mascf/13-IMG_5161.JPG

                      http://www.clcboats.com/boatbuilding-news-events/mascf-mid-atlantic-small-craft-festival-2013-wrap.html

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dk7FawaHpA&feature=youtube_gdata

                      Craig O'Donnell MASCF 2013 pics http://www.myeasternshoremd.com/news/kent_county/collection_4dfb525e-fd04-59a2-901f-0b0902906491.html

                      More COD pics http://www.stardem.com/multimedia/photos/collection_e50cfbab-1463-56d5-8287-64f8b1148a8f.html

                      ---In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <alias1719@...> wrote:

                       The sharpie schooner you likely are talking about (there were several) was a Bolger "His and Hers Schooner" - newly completed and the only one I've seen. Nicely done. There was also an "Elegant Punt," though they were using a different sail rig.

                      Fun event, lots of amazing small boats - more than the show at Mystic - and lots of nice folks.

                      Dave Gentry

                      ---In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <bolger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      Far as I could determine there were no Bolger plywood designs at the weekend's mid-Atlantic Small Craft Fest. S

                      Bill Parkes brought his Dovekie, however, always nice to see one. There was a "sharpie schooner" which certainly showed PCB influence though I couldn't identify the plan specifically..

                    • BruceHallman
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 28, 2013
                        Wow, the photos on this page are so professional that they would make a great 2014 Wall Calendar.

                      • lboatman@ymail.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 26, 2014
                          My 94% scale Single Handed Schooner Puzzled Mullet was there and won 3rd place in the contemporary category. Is that maybe the sharpie schooner that you saw? Natural wood finish with colored wood accents and tan bark sails?

                          I'd post a picture but they seem to have done away with that ability since the last time I was here.

                          Laszlo
                        • Michael Childs
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 28, 2014
                            Very nice job. Great photos. Thanks for all the photos and text. It was very informative.

                            Michael Childs
                            415 828 9663 - 626 799 9796
                            www.michaelchilds.com
                            michael_v_childs@...