Re: Drascombe design by Bolger

  • Frank San Miguel
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2003
      I sailed a Drascombe longboat for years. I don't know of a similar
      design from Bolger & Friends, but they have over 650 of them. You can
      always ask!

      Welsford has some very similar boats. I believe they are supposed to
      point into the wind better than the Drascombe.
      http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/store/plans/jw/6m_whaler/index.htm

      Our Longboat draws only 9" but is very seaworthy. One of her great
      strengths is the steel centerboard (or centerplate as the UK folks
      call it). The Yawl rig is awesome, because you can shorten sail in
      all kinds of good ways. Something about the boat, however is setup so
      that she points like a dog - we never got much more than 60 degrees to
      the wind per tack and when I cooresponded with other Drascombe owners
      they said "get used to it"

      My dad still has the longboat.

      Frank

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mi'ki <mike78612003@y...> wrote:
      > Yes I think so too but does Bolger have one like the Longboat, I
      think that one is 21 feet, it seems that it would not be too difficult
      to build, and the Drascombe Lugger yawl is a proven winner, I heard
      that two of them have circled the world and four have crossed the
      Atlantic. I know they are popalar in Europe. I don't know of any here.
      I wish I did I would be very interested in buying it. A few years ago
      I heard of an Australian guy that was making them, from the email I
      got from Sydney he was selling them as fast as he made them, in wood
      which means it was unsinkable. How long is the Lugger, with out that
      boomkin out the stern.