Re: Drascombe design by Bolger

  • Mi'ki
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2003
      Yes I think so too but does Bolger have one like the Longboat, I think that one is 21 feet, it seems that it would not be too difficult to build, and the Drascombe Lugger yawl is a proven winner, I heard that two of them have circled the world and four have crossed the Atlantic. I know they are popalar in Europe. I don't know of any here. I wish I did I would be very interested in buying it. A few years ago I heard of an Australian guy that was making them, from the email I got from Sydney he was selling them as fast as he made them, in wood which means it was unsinkable. How long is the Lugger, with out that boomkin out the stern.

    • Frank San Miguel
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2003
        I sailed a Drascombe longboat for years. I don't know of a similar
        design from Bolger & Friends, but they have over 650 of them. You can
        always ask!

        Welsford has some very similar boats. I believe they are supposed to
        point into the wind better than the Drascombe.
        http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/store/plans/jw/6m_whaler/index.htm

        Our Longboat draws only 9" but is very seaworthy. One of her great
        strengths is the steel centerboard (or centerplate as the UK folks
        call it). The Yawl rig is awesome, because you can shorten sail in
        all kinds of good ways. Something about the boat, however is setup so
        that she points like a dog - we never got much more than 60 degrees to
        the wind per tack and when I cooresponded with other Drascombe owners
        they said "get used to it"

        My dad still has the longboat.

        Frank