Re: [bolger] Re: plastic coating

    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
      --- dnjost wrote:
      > reading the AS29
      > discussions religiously.

      My collection of AS-29 plans
      is in part illegible. I cannot
      read the number describing the
      amount of lead ballast...does
      that really read 8,000 lbs!

      The other note that describes
      3,000 lbs of foam and 3,000 of
      wood buoyancy would result in a
      'sinker'...but I thought that AS-29
      had positive buoyancy. What am
      I missing?
    • earlgasner
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mi'ki <mike78612003@y...> wrote:
        > just located a possible proofing product, it is used to make eggs
        safe for long storage with out the use of refrigeration , you clean
        the fresh eggs and then coat with something called, water glass.
        and it is very cheap, it is supposed to penatrade the surface and
        permanently seal and its water proof, says it can go on any porus
        surface., has any one tried it, The label says it can keep cleaned
        eggs at room temperature for six months.

        isinglass:

        1. a gelatine from the swim bladder of sturgeon.

        2. thin mica, used for windows as for a "Surrey with a fringe on the
        top that you can roll right down in case there is a change in the
        weather" and as for old kerosene heating stoves).

        3. Any of various water-soluble silicate glass compounds used as a
        preservative for eggs, in plaster and cement, and in various
        purification and refining processes. Also called soluble glass, water
        glass. (The 'glue' in corrugated paper boxes.)
      • Frank San Miguel
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
          2000lbs lead.
          The total boat is 7300lbs displacement.
          The boat has significant positive boyancy.

          I couldn't find the note about foam and boyancy. Is it on the
          building key or the drawings?

          Frank
          Landenberg, PA

          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
            --- Frank San Miguel wrote:

            > I couldn't find the note about foam
            > and buoyancy. Is it on the
            > building key or the drawings?

            I have never read the building key,
            [and would love to read it!]. There
            is a note on the drawing in the
            chapter of the book BWAOM, but you
            need a magnifying glass to read it.

            "Total Foam Buoyancy 50 CF = 3,000 lbs.
            Positive Buoyancy of wood structure about
            3,000 lbs.: Boat will be stable with about
            2 ft freeboard fully flooded."

            The 2,000 of lead, I imagine, could be
            cast into manhandle-able pieces. One
            piece, 1 1/2" by 3 1/2" by 3' 4 1/2" would
            weight about 100 lbs... ten per side.

            > 2000lbs lead. The total boat
            > is 7300lbs displacement.

            I rough numbers, 5,300 lbs of wood is
            about 1,800 board feet costing perhaps
            $3,600 premium grade, or half that if
            shop grade $1,800.

            How much epoxy? 30 gallons? $995?

            Plus, about the same labor as a Superbrick.

            $4,000 for hull, $2,000 for sails, $2,000 for
            motor.
          • Richard Spelling
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
              Boat Baloney = $2 - $4 a pound.

              7300lbs displacement make this about a $15000 boat.

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                --- Richard Spelling wrote:
                > Boat Baloney = $2 - $4 a pound.

                I can dream can't I? ...

                2,000 of lead equals only
                30 five gallon buckets of
                'free' wheel weights, melted
                with 'scrounged' firewood
                in 'salvaged' metal paint
                buckets. Cost $0.

                One sheet of 1/2 CDX plywood
                weighs 50 pounds and costs
                $22 = $0.44 per pound much
                less than $2 to $4 / pound.

                MDO is still less than $1/lb
                and results in much epoxy, cloth
                sandpaper and time saved.

                Heck, Raka epoxy costs less than
                $5 per pound.

                Money only starts adding up when
                you go out buying motors and the
                electronics...motors can be
                scrounged and electronics can be
                skimped.

                A poly tarp main sail on AS-29 might
                be a stretch, but one could re-cut a
                used sail found free by dumpster
                diving at the marina. The mizzen
                could be polytarp.
              • Peter Lenihan
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@c...>
                  wrote:
                  > Boat Baloney = $2 - $4 a pound.
                  >
                  > 7300lbs displacement make this about a $15000 boat.

                  $6.50-$7.00 CAN.......just for the boat......no transportation cost
                  to boat building site, no storage fees etc...etc...etc....you've
                  gotta give yerself some breathing room for a ton of ancilliary cost
                  and all of this over several months/years........

                  Peter Lenihan
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                    --- Peter Lenihan wrote:
                    > $6.50-$7.00 CAN.......just for the boat

                    So, my 1,200 lb Micro Navigator
                    would cost $8K Canadian?

                    I might be fooling myself, but
                    my mental accounting ledger still
                    totals less than $1,000.

                    [Not counting bandaids, tools,
                    electric bill, coffee, rent paid
                    for my garage/shop, karma.]
                  • Peter Lenihan
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                      > --- Peter Lenihan wrote:
                      > > $6.50-$7.00 CAN.......just for the boat
                      >
                      > So, my 1,200 lb Micro Navigator
                      > would cost $8K Canadian?
                      >
                      > I might be fooling myself, but
                      > my mental accounting ledger still
                      > totals less than $1,000.
                      >
                      > [Not counting bandaids, tools,
                      > electric bill, coffee, rent paid
                      > for my garage/shop, karma.]

                      Bruce,
                      Your Micro Navigator"could" cost that much......it all depends
                      on what standard you want to build to ;-). My Micro cost a kitten's
                      hair over $6000.00 CAN. to build in 1993 and I've got the bills to
                      prove it. Sure,I also could have gotten a gold medal in"dumpster
                      diving" too had I really worked at it but I was;
                      a)too damned lazy.
                      b)too damned stupid
                      c)too much of a fraddy cat
                      d)too damned proud
                      I suppose any of the above could be made to "fit" but in truth
                      I really wanted a Micro YACHT and a vessel to try out my growing
                      inventory of woodworking skills.The logic being that any big time
                      booboos would not cost me an arm and a leg on such a small boat.
                      As I gradually assemble WINDERMERE, I lean heavily on the
                      experiences gained through the MICRO and catch myself sometimes about
                      to make another booboo just in ther nick of time.........I am glad I
                      did my MICRO the way I did.
                      It all boils down to what your end objective is with a self
                      made boat.C'est la vie!

                      sincerely,
                      Peter Lenihan......who almost got spooked early this morning by what
                      I took to be FROST on the windshield.........
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                        --- Peter Lenihan wrote:
                        > I really wanted a Micro YACHT

                        I have seen photo's of your work,
                        and you *do* achieve a yacht finish,
                        very impressive!

                        My level of finish is more of the
                        'looks good from 50 feet' quality.

                        I do think that my work is strong,
                        though not all that smooth.

                        I would rather have *two* rough finish
                        boats: instead of *one* shiny boat.

                        Another little appreciated virtue
                        of the 'value added' of cheap and
                        scrounged materials, [here in California
                        at least], is that they are tax free!
                      • Peter Lenihan
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                          > Another little appreciated virtue
                          > of the 'value added' of cheap and
                          > scrounged materials, [here in California
                          > at least], is that they are tax free!

                          No argument there Bruce.....even our government has yet to figure out
                          how to tax"junk" but I figure it is just a question of time, not
                          desire.
                          Now,if they could just figure out how to get us some nice warm sunny
                          California weather up here all year long........I'd go back to voting
                          for the crooks:-)

                          Peter Lenihan
                        • Frank San Miguel
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                            My AF3, Cream Cheese, cost 2300 without the trailer, but I could have
                            gotten it down to 1500 if I had really tried which I wasn't. An I
                            only used ACX plywood since she is a little trailer sailor.

                            http://www.geocities.com/sanmi/creamcheese/costs.html

                            She weighs about 350 lbs with gear.
                            1500/350 = $4.3 BBU (boat baloney units)
                            2300/350 = $6.5 BBU

                            Maybe we should make a poll - "What is your boat's BBU?"

                            Frank