Re: plastic coating

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
      This is the stuff I used to coat the wooden mold for my Micro. I got
      it from another builder of boats. It only took a small amount 2
      pints? to coat the entire mold. The mold is still useable!

      David Jost
      "former owner of Firefly, reading the AS29 discussions religiously."
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
        --- dnjost wrote:
        > reading the AS29
        > discussions religiously.

        My collection of AS-29 plans
        is in part illegible. I cannot
        read the number describing the
        amount of lead ballast...does
        that really read 8,000 lbs!

        The other note that describes
        3,000 lbs of foam and 3,000 of
        wood buoyancy would result in a
        'sinker'...but I thought that AS-29
        had positive buoyancy. What am
        I missing?
      • earlgasner
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mi'ki <mike78612003@y...> wrote:
          > just located a possible proofing product, it is used to make eggs
          safe for long storage with out the use of refrigeration , you clean
          the fresh eggs and then coat with something called, water glass.
          and it is very cheap, it is supposed to penatrade the surface and
          permanently seal and its water proof, says it can go on any porus
          surface., has any one tried it, The label says it can keep cleaned
          eggs at room temperature for six months.

          isinglass:

          1. a gelatine from the swim bladder of sturgeon.

          2. thin mica, used for windows as for a "Surrey with a fringe on the
          top that you can roll right down in case there is a change in the
          weather" and as for old kerosene heating stoves).

          3. Any of various water-soluble silicate glass compounds used as a
          preservative for eggs, in plaster and cement, and in various
          purification and refining processes. Also called soluble glass, water
          glass. (The 'glue' in corrugated paper boxes.)
        • Frank San Miguel
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
            2000lbs lead.
            The total boat is 7300lbs displacement.
            The boat has significant positive boyancy.

            I couldn't find the note about foam and boyancy. Is it on the
            building key or the drawings?

            Frank
            Landenberg, PA

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
              --- Frank San Miguel wrote:

              > I couldn't find the note about foam
              > and buoyancy. Is it on the
              > building key or the drawings?

              I have never read the building key,
              [and would love to read it!]. There
              is a note on the drawing in the
              chapter of the book BWAOM, but you
              need a magnifying glass to read it.

              "Total Foam Buoyancy 50 CF = 3,000 lbs.
              Positive Buoyancy of wood structure about
              3,000 lbs.: Boat will be stable with about
              2 ft freeboard fully flooded."

              The 2,000 of lead, I imagine, could be
              cast into manhandle-able pieces. One
              piece, 1 1/2" by 3 1/2" by 3' 4 1/2" would
              weight about 100 lbs... ten per side.

              > 2000lbs lead. The total boat
              > is 7300lbs displacement.

              I rough numbers, 5,300 lbs of wood is
              about 1,800 board feet costing perhaps
              $3,600 premium grade, or half that if
              shop grade $1,800.

              How much epoxy? 30 gallons? $995?

              Plus, about the same labor as a Superbrick.

              $4,000 for hull, $2,000 for sails, $2,000 for
              motor.
            • Richard Spelling
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                Boat Baloney = $2 - $4 a pound.

                7300lbs displacement make this about a $15000 boat.

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                  --- Richard Spelling wrote:
                  > Boat Baloney = $2 - $4 a pound.

                  I can dream can't I? ...

                  2,000 of lead equals only
                  30 five gallon buckets of
                  'free' wheel weights, melted
                  with 'scrounged' firewood
                  in 'salvaged' metal paint
                  buckets. Cost $0.

                  One sheet of 1/2 CDX plywood
                  weighs 50 pounds and costs
                  $22 = $0.44 per pound much
                  less than $2 to $4 / pound.

                  MDO is still less than $1/lb
                  and results in much epoxy, cloth
                  sandpaper and time saved.

                  Heck, Raka epoxy costs less than
                  $5 per pound.

                  Money only starts adding up when
                  you go out buying motors and the
                  electronics...motors can be
                  scrounged and electronics can be
                  skimped.

                  A poly tarp main sail on AS-29 might
                  be a stretch, but one could re-cut a
                  used sail found free by dumpster
                  diving at the marina. The mizzen
                  could be polytarp.
                • Peter Lenihan
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@c...>
                    wrote:
                    > Boat Baloney = $2 - $4 a pound.
                    >
                    > 7300lbs displacement make this about a $15000 boat.

                    $6.50-$7.00 CAN.......just for the boat......no transportation cost
                    to boat building site, no storage fees etc...etc...etc....you've
                    gotta give yerself some breathing room for a ton of ancilliary cost
                    and all of this over several months/years........

                    Peter Lenihan
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                      --- Peter Lenihan wrote:
                      > $6.50-$7.00 CAN.......just for the boat

                      So, my 1,200 lb Micro Navigator
                      would cost $8K Canadian?

                      I might be fooling myself, but
                      my mental accounting ledger still
                      totals less than $1,000.

                      [Not counting bandaids, tools,
                      electric bill, coffee, rent paid
                      for my garage/shop, karma.]
                    • Peter Lenihan
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                        > --- Peter Lenihan wrote:
                        > > $6.50-$7.00 CAN.......just for the boat
                        >
                        > So, my 1,200 lb Micro Navigator
                        > would cost $8K Canadian?
                        >
                        > I might be fooling myself, but
                        > my mental accounting ledger still
                        > totals less than $1,000.
                        >
                        > [Not counting bandaids, tools,
                        > electric bill, coffee, rent paid
                        > for my garage/shop, karma.]

                        Bruce,
                        Your Micro Navigator"could" cost that much......it all depends
                        on what standard you want to build to ;-). My Micro cost a kitten's
                        hair over $6000.00 CAN. to build in 1993 and I've got the bills to
                        prove it. Sure,I also could have gotten a gold medal in"dumpster
                        diving" too had I really worked at it but I was;
                        a)too damned lazy.
                        b)too damned stupid
                        c)too much of a fraddy cat
                        d)too damned proud
                        I suppose any of the above could be made to "fit" but in truth
                        I really wanted a Micro YACHT and a vessel to try out my growing
                        inventory of woodworking skills.The logic being that any big time
                        booboos would not cost me an arm and a leg on such a small boat.
                        As I gradually assemble WINDERMERE, I lean heavily on the
                        experiences gained through the MICRO and catch myself sometimes about
                        to make another booboo just in ther nick of time.........I am glad I
                        did my MICRO the way I did.
                        It all boils down to what your end objective is with a self
                        made boat.C'est la vie!

                        sincerely,
                        Peter Lenihan......who almost got spooked early this morning by what
                        I took to be FROST on the windshield.........
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                          --- Peter Lenihan wrote:
                          > I really wanted a Micro YACHT

                          I have seen photo's of your work,
                          and you *do* achieve a yacht finish,
                          very impressive!

                          My level of finish is more of the
                          'looks good from 50 feet' quality.

                          I do think that my work is strong,
                          though not all that smooth.

                          I would rather have *two* rough finish
                          boats: instead of *one* shiny boat.

                          Another little appreciated virtue
                          of the 'value added' of cheap and
                          scrounged materials, [here in California
                          at least], is that they are tax free!
                        • Peter Lenihan
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                            > Another little appreciated virtue
                            > of the 'value added' of cheap and
                            > scrounged materials, [here in California
                            > at least], is that they are tax free!

                            No argument there Bruce.....even our government has yet to figure out
                            how to tax"junk" but I figure it is just a question of time, not
                            desire.
                            Now,if they could just figure out how to get us some nice warm sunny
                            California weather up here all year long........I'd go back to voting
                            for the crooks:-)

                            Peter Lenihan
                          • Frank San Miguel
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                              My AF3, Cream Cheese, cost 2300 without the trailer, but I could have
                              gotten it down to 1500 if I had really tried which I wasn't. An I
                              only used ACX plywood since she is a little trailer sailor.

                              http://www.geocities.com/sanmi/creamcheese/costs.html

                              She weighs about 350 lbs with gear.
                              1500/350 = $4.3 BBU (boat baloney units)
                              2300/350 = $6.5 BBU

                              Maybe we should make a poll - "What is your boat's BBU?"

                              Frank